I had my mirena coil removed 8days ago and have been bleeding ever since, some clotting. my dr advised to have the coil put back in to stop the flow, which i do not want as i had it removed to try and become pregnant, could you tell me if this bleeding is normal and if it will settlle down on its own. also will i have problems conceiving, i am36.

Hi ,

luvs2play, I had my mirena coil removed 16 days ago, I have had the coil for 4 years and had little problems with it, I had no periods while coil fitted. As i said I had coil removed 16 days ago and am experiencing very heavy bleeding and clotting, I have spoke to GP who says this is normal after coil removal and should settle down, I was worried about anemia with such heavy bleeding but was re-assured it takes months of heavy bleeding to become aneimic,,,, I am 38 and thinking about another baby, GP advised to take folic acid and good diet, If you are worried at all please talk to GP, but I was re-asurred bleeding normal, the GP can prescribe something to help slow/ stop bleeding if your worried. Hope this helps. Sisterwebbely. :D :(

hi i got the coil removed yesterday which i had it in 2 yr s i still have nt even had a twinkle of blood the nurse told me i wud bleed straight away is this normal dat i haven't had anything yet my period was never ever month i cud go 2/3 months without a period and den wen i did get dem they wud only last 3 day s if any one has any information plez let me no thank s

I had my Mirena IUC for 5.5 years and I have no complaints. I didn't have a period the entire time I had the Mirena! I did notice a little more facial breakouts but nothing too bad.

I had it removed about 2 months ago. My GYN did have a hard time locating the string as your cervix grows and was longer that the string. (All of this is very normal.) I did spot for a few days after I had it removed, but nothing more than a pantyliner was needed.

Now, my cycle has returned with vengence. I got the worst case of PMS of my life including three days of body aches, irrational mood swings, grumpy and just plain awful. I am 34 and have NEVER experienced PMS like this. And now I am bleed very heavy.

Has this been anyone else's experience? Is this something that will relieve itself in time as my hormone level stablize? I don't want to have the another Mirena since my husband has had a vasectomy and I would like to be hormone free.

i am bleeding after having my mirena coil removed it was too low and i didnt tell my doctor i had had unprotected sex the last two weeks, when i had it removed she gave me a depo injection straight away. does this mean im pregnant or likely to get pregnant?

hi,

i had my coil taken out after 5 yrs in march 3 month ago. i didnt bleed at all until may 2 mths later. i bled very heavily for 19 days. now its start of june and i was due again 2 days ago. im hoping i dont get period as were trying for a baby. im after being reading stories over internet and everyone is different its hard to know when u might get pregnant or if indeed we do. just have to wait and see.

I went to my Ob-gyn about 2 1/2 half months ago and my doctor advised my mirena was in place.  Well lastnight (6/17/11) my husband could see it. I didn't believe him so I put my hand down there and could feel it.  It felt like a bone or something. This morning after I went to bathroom, I took a mirror so I could see if it was still visible and it was literally sitting at the edge of my vagina and I was bleeding. I was kinda freaking out, went to the emergency room and the doctor took it out in less than 20 seconds. I couldn't believe it...I stll can't believe it, after 3 1/2 years of having it...it literally just "fell" out of my uterus.  How crazy is that!

hi all, I had my Mirena removed 2 days ago, my husband has had a vasectomy. I had it removed after only 7 months of use as periods were heavy and for contraception as overweight and had aural migraines couldnt use pill any more as now 39.

and today removal day 2,  I have some cramps and small show of blood today .

The reason I had it removed is I was told my the nurse that
Quote:

Mirena isnt a "magic cure", what it takes away on one hand as a relief it gives OTHER aspects and all women are unique and some will and some won't have same symptoms

as I had  to weigh up if periods going away is better than being fatter and more miserable and not even wanting sex anyway ,no libido

I had to weigh up if light periods but bloated body and worse headaches, dry eyes, mood swings all month and strange inability to lose weight whilst ona diet. OR heavy periods, pmt, ordinary body weight. I feel as if I was being poisoned and my body was incompatible with it from day 1.

It took a few months to eradicate periods and for bleeding to stop. Any BLEEDING seen whe it is in/or it is out  is NOT A TRUE PERIOD and is no indication of fertile or non fertile she also reminded me! Wheyou use Mirena you are 100% probably protected from preg immediatly. And do NOT have it removed if you just had sex inside 7 days if you DO not want to be pregnant!!! Use condoms !!

Do not class breathrough bleeding seen using Mirena as a period (same as with the pill is it not a period!) And so the bleeding that you have after it comes out is not A PERIOD it is the bodys natural response to the foreign body in the womb being "expelled!" (removed by dr or nurse).My weight went UP from quite a chubby 12stone to 13 st 2 for no reason. I have a weight problem and I cut out all rubbish and took more exercise but felt like crying when i gained 16lbs for no apparent reason. I felt constantly OFF .

I have been drinking herbal teas and a lot of water to flush the hormones out of my body and detox and I feel much better now its gone, I dont relish heavy periods but if they get significantly worse then I have tablets off the Dr and could be referred for microwave ablation No artificial hormones my headaches got worse too using Mirena.

If you have any doubt, then get it out, painless procedure just cough once and its gone.....

i wish to warm women, i had my mirena out precisely 2 days ago ..and i have had to lie down as in the past hour i have been slightly bleeding and then went to the bathroom and WHOOSH ,passed lots of flooding blood with long /thick clots i felt dizzy and giddy and frightened.

The nurse made NO mention of this beyon a normal bleed after the thing is out.....

TMI sorry but having what looks in my mind like the heaviest period of my life had i known, I would have asked for hormones to counteract this  , tranexamic acid is all i can find and hope the clots stop soon .

i wasnt doing anything strenuous but i know that i had to lie down with feet raised to stop the bleeding a bit and had a full blown panic attack frightened i was going to need to go for a blood transfusion. it is horrible.

why no one warns that some women will experience dreadful post-mirena withdrawal bleeding with bright red blood and large clots is beyond me. i dont want mirena and its horrid side effects and i dont want to have blood running down my legs and a toilet bowl full of red water.

i am scared of heavy blood loss and it gets me agitated. i am through with having babies and artificial things in my body. hope someone else relates to this or a dr could put my mind at rest before i ring nhs24 for advice and dont want to sound like a big baby but it is a significant blood loss i am having and am anxious.

still bleeding, i have posted the above post and saved one of the clots (sorry it is gross!) i peed in a basin there to catch it , I scooped it out and put it in a clear food bag and it was the width of my palm and like multi vessels and tentacle like , resembled raw liver. I dunno why it is significant  or of any interest ,but I weighed it on the kicthen scales it was 40grammes in weight .I know it sounds bizarre but this was about the 8th clot in 3 hours, and it was 2 golf balls diameter. Not exactly the ideal saturday night in! Good JOB it happened at home! I was at a party last night with just a small pantyliner on in a short skirt, feeling ok that I wasnt actually about to bleed. Had slight cramp that was day 1 post-removal. For goodness sake , this post Mirena flodd with large clotting has totally thrown me but I will rest assured it is ok if another lady tells me the same happened to her...? with hope

Dear Guest,

I have only just seen your post from last month regarding the removal of the supposed brilliant mirena coil and I too had almost identical issues to yourself.

I had it removed on the Friday due to constant bleeding, hurrendous pains in my stomach and weight gain/mood swings, and on the following Monday I heamorraged at work with exactly the same blood loss as yourself.  I was rushed into hospital and discharged the following night.  I have now been off work for over 2 weeks as the bleeding still has not stopped and I don't have to do very much to make it start again.  I had the coil fitted originally as I have exceptionally heavy periods and was very very aneamic, after 15 months of pain and weight gain and continual bleeding I had had enough. 

I went to see a private specialist who has now booked for me to have a hysteroscopy to find out why I am still bleeding but he has made suggestion that the coil has possibly been an aggrivation.

I was very very wary of ever having the coil fitted in the first place as I had heard some hurrendous stories through friends and other folk first hand but I thought well I don't appear to have many options and it may not effect me the same way, but it DID!

To anyone I ever speak with now I advise them to never go near it and I have managed to put a lot of them off, so I shall continue with the good work!!!

It scared me half to death and I wish to God I had listened to those who told me to not have it done.  I am now waiting and hoping that what ever problems it has caused will be sorted and rectified soon as I am very sick of suffering.

I do hope you are feeling better now and I can totally understand how you must have felt, the ignorance towards this form of contraception is unbelievable and the "lab rats" really need to be listened too.

Sending hugs to you.

Hi I just had the same ,M-coil fitted 4days ago ,takin out due to pain,2 days later the toilet bowl is covered in blood and I am shaking and dizzy.rang the doc and she said it may be a period ,but if it gets worse A&E icase i have a perfaration.I am on M-aicd to help bleeding .I had it fitted due to heavy bleeding and pain.i am sterlised anyway.

I had my Merina removed about 30 days ago. This was after having it in since July of 2007, so almost the 5 years. I have now bled for 24 days straight. I have passed what appears to be 5 years of blood clots, but are of a different consistency, more globulous in nature. My body appears to be purging its system. Horrible pains that cause me to bend over or lie down. I was extremly tired for several days and am getting rather run down at this point. Hopefully not much longer.

same experience as many of you - just getting scared at the thought of how long this excessive bleeding might be going on for !!!! was not prewarned....but the reason for the removal of my coil is even more sinister !!!!

had the coil fitted just over 3 years ago after a dangerous pregnancy. was told it was too risky to fall pregnant again, and while they were still investigating the severity of the result of my baby not surviving inside of me, the surgeon advised me (!!!!) he was going to fit the coil while they were "down there"....it was not discussed with me, i neither needed nor wanted it.

i was diagnosed with breast cancer about 6 weeks ago - after the cancer was removed i was advised that it was caused by hormones (!?!) - i insisted on an explanation. yes, they CAN diagnose the reason for the cancer growing...and i was advised by the nurse that the reason was the coil !!!!!  i am fuming ! have been through hell, bled non-stop (though mainly slightly) after having the coil fitted i am now getting ready for my radiotherapy treatment - great to know that i can barely go an hour without changing my tampon, sanitary towel and clothes......

the merina coil - what a fab invention !!!!

BEWARE, LADIES, CHECK YOUR BREASTS !!!!! 

I had the mirena removed last year and was bleeding so badly I was admitted to hospital and the result was a hysterectomy, they should be BANNED! the are lethal and should never ever ever have been allowed on the market! I tried so many times to convince the doctors what this damned thing was doing to me but would they listen? I know my body better than anyone and I know what it was doing to me! I can only recommend you keep a really close eye on what is going on and should anyone else you know consider having it done please try to convince them it is the worst thing they could think about doing. Since all this happened to me I have spoken to numerous other people who ALL had the same problems and ended up with the same extremely sad results. It needs to be taken OFF the market NOW!