Had Mirena coil removed a week yesterday after having the Mirena coil in for 2 years nearly , i had bleeding one week on and one off so decided to have it removed as i was fed up with it . The day i had it removed i was bleeding the day before and then once the coil was removed i stopped , next day however i had 3 days of heavy bleeding , now though i am bleeding very heavy with huge clots !! i feel drained and very tired , why has noone mentioned what this thing does to your body and how it affects your hormones and weight , since removal ive lost over half a stone but dont know if thats due to blood loss ha ha . I have read many comments about this coil yet they still seem to think because it works for a selected few its a blessing !! i would suggest anyone who is considering it to reconsider its awful , i bled , i gained weight , i had lower back pain and hip and leg pain and now i feel my blood is being drained out of my body and im being told that the clots leaving my body are NORMAL ???? are people that insane to think all of the above is normal , if so then i think there is something seriously wrong with people we put our trust in >:(

I am so glad i found the comments about the mirena coil on this site. I have web searched for 9 months about my almost non stop bleeding & spotting since having this horrible thing fitted 16months ago. Like you, weight gain, lower back pain & hideous bleeding with clots - my original periods seem like a dream by comparison. I'm shocked by how many women seem to be suffering with this contraception and yet how readily doctors recommend it.

That has made me feel better. My coil as fallen out and now bleeding so much that I was begining to worry never seen anything so bad. I also put weight on an bled the whole time it was in ! I wouldn't recomend using it either! Feel c**p now and not worth this!

I just had my mirena removed after "persevering" for 3 years with it. Was fed up with the constant spotting, feeling of anxiety, lack of bowel movements, bloating, headaches, and issues with sleeping. Had it removed 3 days ago - bleeding since I had it removed, no cramps, and the bleeding is not what I would call excessive, clots are not too bad at the moment, but I am just so glad to have it out of my body! and within a short few days funnily enough I've had no headaches, much better bowel movements and slept like a baby! xx

I had been happy with my Marina, though i did have irregular periods, sometimes just 4 a year! this wasnt a problem for me. I had it removed this week because id had it 6 years and my partner had a vasectomy back in february. Since the removal on Monday i had a little spotting on tuesday then yesterday it was like the flood gates had opened, very heavy bleeding with clots! lower back pain, tiredness and headaches! Hope this eases off soon I have two boys of 6 & 7 to run around after this summer!! 

I had merina coil fitted four weeks ago for contraception. It was the worst decision of my life. I led from the day it was fitted, weight gain, mod swings, period crams like I have never experienced. I went back to my gp and asked her to remove it. She was very good but I am still bleeding heavily. A huge regret and to put my body through that and no one really warns you?, my advice to any woman who wants it removed is do not hesitate. The relief I felt walking out of the drs was immense. I am slowly returning back to normal much to the relief of my hubbie and kids. I would say pester your dr if u are concerned ....it's your body not theirs that is bleeding!!!

I've just had my merina coil taken out, due too weight gain. Omg! I've never been so big in my life! I had it in a year and it took a good 6 months to settle, I had really painfull breasts for months. My periods weren't really too much of a problem they t Just stopped! But I really have put weight on. Since having the merina out ( 3 days ago) I've had constant cramp- like a real dull ache, and have had almost black blood, not too heavy, yet with some clotting. I'm quite worried reading all your posts, looks like I've more bleeding to come :( but I'll put up with it so long as my weight drops!! Never again. I had mine replaced with the copper cool..wish me luck! :)

I had to have a blood transfusion 1 wk after removal and doctors thought I was going to die. Went to my male doctor, then A&E & was fobbed off with heavy period. Saw female doctor who put me in ambulance as I'd lost so much blood my veins collapsed & they struggled to fit IV drip. Ended up on lots of meds & unable to use anything hormonal again.

i had my mirena coil in for 9 weeks then i had to beg for it to be removed (best thing i have ever done felt amazing straight after). i as of load of other woman have had a very bad experience with it camps  full on bleeding all the time ( not spotting :( ) and feeling like it was the first day of my period every single day. Now i am bleeding heavly to the point i am kinda a little scared, because i dont understand where it is all coming from now after bleeding for 9 weeks straight :s

anyone else had this problem ???

ta 

aliharding wrote:

rach2021 wrote:

i thought it was me !!!! had mine removed a wk ago after 1yr of bleeding,nearly 2stone weightloss,pains cramps everything, im soooo tired no energy cannot leave the home,too scared to go back to docs as dnt want her to think im wasting her time...its causing problems with the hubby too as he dont understand,im so glad iv found this post to no im not on my own :(

i am experiencing this right now i have suffered from heavy periods all my adult life but had break when i had my 2 children i am 43 and i have had enough so i decided to take the coil as they said women with heavy periods this should help as i wasn't taking it for contraceptive reasons merely for to help my periods as i had seperated from my husband 2yrs ago and i haven't been with anyone since then so it was my drastic last attempt at finding help for my heavy blood loss. Anyway i had doctor who couldn't do it for me at surgery due to budget an she took it upon herself to let me know that and sent me to the hospital i couldn't believe i went there just to get coil fitted anyway i had a junior doctor i think and it was that painful and uncomfortable when she was trying to put it in that i nearly passed out and had to get senior to check if she put it in right. then they asked me if i would donate a bit of my flesh from cervix for research purposes felt as if i was cornered as i was lying on table at time so i did which hurt alittle snipping a little flesh from inside then i had to give blood to for them so it was a very painful day. i was willingto go through that as i felt relief hoping id not have periods i was told that i could get spots but thats all hopefully. Well for the next 6mnths i have had normal periods as usual and i was so frustrated as went through that for nothing so i went to doctor she said it could take that to settle down so i continued having more periods and even when i went to toilet more blood would come out when i went to toilet i don't know why this is anyhow it is nearly a year and i had enough so i went a week ago and said please take it out as it was a complete waste of time as even 2 weeks prior to that i bleed for 2weeks for that period so doctor took it out last friday and you guessed it the blood i am losing is nothing to the imagination also with huge clots but no one i know has went through this so they don't think i losing as much as im saying i got meffenamic acid tablets but they don't help me. I feel with all this blood loss i may feel i need to go A&E tomorrow! as it is concerning me all this for me trying to help with my periods the doctor is put me in to see a consultant to maybe get surgery to lazor the lining of my womb away to stop me having a period i hope that will do it as im at the end of my tether now every month is torture an im 43 i had it going on for so long! need help now

So so glad you posted this, I had the mirena coil removed 5 days ago after only having it in for 2 weeks, when the Dr removed it she said it was in the wrong place!! Anyway I was glad to get it out, but since last night I have had very heavy bleeding with clots, I have never seen so much blood! I was that worried I went to the out of hours today and she checked me over and told me to go to the go tomorrow but to take utovlan in the meantime, I really hope it settles as I'm starting to get quite worried, I also feel drained and tired due to the bleeding!

Just found this after having my coil removed 3days ago. I had it in for 16mths. I had spotting and bleeding the whole time. I felt bloated got spots it was hell. Now it's Been taken out I'm bleeding heavily with clots. I'm in pain and feel sick. All I can say is don't get one

Totally agree. I got the coil in 2007. 4 1/2 years later I've just had it taken out. Was amazing in that it stopped my period completely for 4 years however it would seem now that I am bleeding for those last 4 years. Clots, loads of blood and actually thought I was going to have to go home from work today! I only got it out last Wednesday, anyone have any idea when the bleeding will stop????
Whole reason I got it out was because I kept getting recurring infections. Apparently a side effect of the coil. I also put on 3 stone, never been so heavy in my life.
On the plus side I've lost 4lbs since it was taken out but can't handle this heavy bleeding (probs cos I've not had a period for years! Lol) really wish the doctors had made me more aware of the side effects! Who wanta to have constant infections????

it is so good to hear from other women that are or have experienced the same problems big problem!!! i do suggest if you are suffering and are still go back to your gp and if you are not planning having or more children they can now do a procedure that will lazer the lining of womb that will hopfully stop you having a period i am past having anymore children so for me this seems the only thing left for me to try im desperate now what do we women go through every month!