i had the mirena coil removed before CHristmas to try for new baby. it took 6 weeks for first period and 5 for second. this month i've had 3 epeisodes of bleding - aft12 days i bled light pink for about a week than then 10 days later i'm bleeding again it feels heavy with clots but its only there when i wipe - a pad could last all day if i didn't change.
for th past couple of weeks i've also had IBS (worse in the mornings - and going to the toilet has been painful)
i don't know how long my body is supposed to take to gt back to normal?
how can i get pregnant if my cycle is so irrgular?
could it be something much mor srious or am i worrying too soon?

This is strange because I have had the mirena coil fitted for three and a half years and only since this January have I experienced almost constant bleeding (with clots and when I wipe) with the odd week's break, pretty much constant irritable pre-menstrual feelings and pain that I associate with IBS or constipation, also very painful intercourse. I have previously been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and have had a dermoid cyst removed under surgery. I don't know if there is any connection at all with our symptoms, however I am not getting any medical back up at the moment. Nobody seems concerned about the bleeding and I have been told that the coil should not be the cause of this either (therefore they refuse to replace it on the NHS until the 5 years are up!!) I feel like there just isn't anyone out there these days who is actually concerned about their patient! I hope to resolve this soon and find out whether the mirena has actually tampered with nature or whether in my case it is to do with my polycystic ovaries and that this is over-riding the effects of the mirena. Will keep you posted

I had the mirena coil fitted nearly 2 years ago after a long bout of heavy periods and as a last resort for contraception that would work for me. Unfortunately I bled almost continually for six months after it was fitted. It was like a light period and I kept going back to the doctor who kept telling me to carry on and it would get better! After a month of clots nearly a year later it did seem to improve. It settled down to me having a period that lasts for two weeks out of four. This has been really hard for my husband as its seems to him that i'm always having a period and sex is off the menu again. The only advantage to having the mirena coil fitted is the fact that we can have unprotected sex and not worry about pregnancy (we've completed our family) which did give our sex life a boost. But I am now getting breakthrough bleeding on the weeks i'm not having my period and pre-mentstrual cramps have come back including bad PMT. I've really had enough now and am seeing my doctor about having it removed. I won't be talked out of it this time though.

Hi Mrs H. my first time here. My mirena fell out just after xmas %-) and jan-feb-march I had periods all 26 days apart .Ten nothing for Apri. Don't know what to think about it. we want another baby and have lots of pregnancy signs yet a neg. preg test. The periods were quite heavy and lasted a few days each time. Really confused as to why no 4th period?

Hi Ladies
I have googled Mirena Coil and links with PCOS. I have been diagnosed by scan today. I had the mirena coil in for 1 year. Prior to this I was always 28 days reg even after having my 3 children. Since having the coil removed in Feb 06 I have had irregular heavy clotting periods!! My friend who also has 3 children had her coil removed one month b4 me and has also been diagnosed with PCOS. I am thinking that there has to be a link here and that it must be something to do with the hormone that is used in the mirena. We have been trying for a baby since last feb and already have the prob of my dh having a low count so now we have two probs to deal with. Anyone had similar problems??? M xx

Hi Ladies
I've just had my second Mirena removed - no problems with the first, but I've suffered with irregular bleeding all the way through with the second - it was in for 4 years. The bleeding was much worse after sex and could easily last for three weeks at a time. My GP said it was nothing to do with Mirena but couldn't explain it otherwise. It has got much worse recently and before Christmas I had a light period which lasted for nearly six weeks. I felt exhausted all the time and really down. I returned to my GP who agreed to remove it. She had also suffered problems after having a second Mirena fitted so was more sympathetic this time! I have started taking a mini pill, which I was reluctant to do as had bad mood swings and headaches last time, but I can't afford to get pregnant due to medication I take for high blood pressure. However, I am now suffering with excessive heavy bleeding, with abdominal cramps like I haven't experienced since I was a teenager and massive PMT symptoms! (My family are ready to run for the hills!). Has anyone else had heavy bleeding within days of removal or should I return to my GP?

hi ladies
I had mirena coil fitted a month ago, but it didnt suit me, i had tingling fingers, backache sore boobs, headaches and a 2 week period. i burst into tears on several occasions and decided to have it removed this week. i felt instant relief and i feel normal again, however i havent stopped bleeding since the removal. is this normal?

Hi All;
I had my first Mirena coil fitted 5 years ago - after 3 years I had a dermoid cyst which twisted resulting in me having an ovary rmoved. I have just had a 2nd coil fitted after reassurance from GP that there was no link with cysts. I am not however convinced...has anyone else suffered with dermoid cysts since having the mirena fitted?

To all of you who have or are thinking about the Mirena,

The whole point of an IUD is to not use hormones, correct? Why not use the one with the longest track record, the copper T? As long as you are not allergic to copper, this one works by creating an environment where the egg will not implant onto the uterine wall. I am a breast cancer survivor and I can NOT use the Mirena because it may affect me in some way. That tells me, cancer survivor or not, that this is not safe for women. Check out the history of the copper t. I used it many years ago and it was great. Good luck to all.

I'm 54 and had my first myrena coil fitted in 1996 as I had really heavy painful periods after being sterilized, it was fantastic and I was pain free and period free from then on. In December I had a medication review at my G.P. surgery and was told I was far too old to be having periods and had to have the myrena removed, which I did at the end of December. Straight away I started having painful heavy periods again, at first G.P.said it was a fluke and I had to keep a diary for 3 months, after putting up with it for as long as I could I saw a Female G.P. who said she would put it back after I had had a scan, I went back to have it put in again in June she said she couldn't do it as I have now apparently got Cervical Stenosis, I can't bear to keep having these painful periods she has now put me on a progesterone pill and tranexamic acid tablets for the days I bleed, beginning of July my period started again, I took the tablets which have helped a bit but I'm still bleeding heavily and in discomfort.

I had my mirena put in in jan of this year I bleed for like three months straight then it went to break through periods then when it seemed like it was balancing out in my body it gave me P.I.D and had to be removed right away in the E.R now I bleed a little bleed a lot stop then in one hour start again I hope someone puts a lawsuit on these guys or something because I think this so called break thru miracle is messing are systems up so if you are thinking about getting one dont get it! I also had mood swings bad headaches I would always cry I wanted everyone to get away please I engourage you to NOT get this!

hi everyone, i had the mirena coil fitted after my 2nd child.iv had it in now for 2 years and ever since i have had irregular period's i was having 3 a month and they lasted about a week, they were quite heavy and very dark. i also exsperienced abdominal pain like cramps and was always in a mood.lol anyway its excellent as far as contraception goes but its not doing the body any good i noticed i was putting on weight aswell. my husband always complained about it he would feel the string when we was having sex and for me sex was very uncomfatible. me and my husband were talking about the coil and wot it could be doin to the body we both came up with the idea that the reason why we are having more periods than usuall is that we could be having a misscarraige due to the position of the coil. i didnt like the idea of this so i went to my doctors and asked if they could remove the coil, i got an appointment to go a week later. they took over an hour trying to find the coil they couldnt find it at all so it took 3 attemps to go bak to the doctors just for them to get the coil out finally the nurse found it and took it out.after having it taken out i have not had any pain at all but my periods are still irregular 3 weeks on from having the coil removed im still having my period's but they are light. i also had the copper coil when i was about 20 yrs old and that isnt no better. If you think ur body is changin and ur mood is changing i would have the coil removed no doctor can tell you to have it for 5 years. for contraception i would strongly recommend the ROD its a chip that goes in ur arm and lasts for 3 years (i think)lol but you shouldnt have any problems or pain.. good luck everyone. xxxxxx

Hi people, I had my mirena fitted for 4 years. I removed it ,in May6, so we could try for another baby. I have had irregular periods sence. My periods are always late and it's hard to tell when I am ovulating. Before the mirena my ovulation and periods were normal. I'm not sure what to do these days.!. %-)

Mirena SUCKS!

i had an IUD called a "Paraguard" also known as the "copper T" after i had my daughter in aug. of 06 it was great while i had it ..it did its job..i never got pregnant nor did my periods become irregular. i have always had easy VERY regular periods on time every month.. i had it removed in September of 08 to start trying to have a baby.. immediately i started having problems, i started bleeding the day of removal.. like a reg period flow..but b/c it was time for my period anyways i didn't think much of it.. but since then my periods have been coming a week later each month .. a slew of pregnancy test both urine and blood test coming up neg. i have had every test under the sun done.. and everything looks "normal" i am now also experiencing something the girls at the beginning were talking about the spotting and brownish stuff only when i wipe..what is going on?? im getting really frustrated i can't f*@#ing get pregnant if this keeps up can anyone help?