I`ve just got home from the hospital. I had anterior cervical discectomy. I am on the home recovery now. I had an injury and my neck and arms were in great pain. The surgeon made a small incision in the front of my neck and removed the intervertebral disc and bone spurs. He filled the space between the vertebrae with a small piece of bone. Last thing I remember I was lying on my back wondering what will happen next. I wanted to share my experience with somebody. Anybody with the same experience?

Hi. My surgery was successfully done, without any complication. I had anterior cervical discectomy with fusion. Fusion is performed with a bone graft. Sometimes, metal plates may be added, because of stability. I wasn`t really afraid of the income, but I was afraid of possible complications. Because of human factor, complications can always occur. They are rare, but still possible. I was in the hospital for two days. I am too home now on recovery. I walk more and more each day. However, I have to be very careful.

I am anticipating anterior cervical surgery in the next 4-6 weeks (I have 2 disks and some spurs to be removed.) I am a paralegal and really don't want to have to be off work toooooo long. I don't have my next appointment with the surgeon (for final diagnosis and scheduling) until 4/2/07 and am wondering if you have any input about how much time I would need to be off work? I do a lot of computer work and am up and down quite a bit also. I can avoid lifting heavy files, but am concerned about the time frame for being out of the office. Any thoughts??

Marilyn