Hello! I would like to hear something about anterior cervical corpectomy. it is been for years now my mom was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and by the time her condition was worsening and she was at first prescribed some pain relief such as ibuprofen but also some muscle relaxants and nothing seems to be of long-term help for lately she started having this neck pain spreading onto her shoulders and arms. And also she recently started having problem with the balance loss as well as legs numbness and weakness and it turned out the only solution for her condition is the surgery so she is now about to have anterior cervical corpectomy within next few days and I would like to hear something about this and what are the possible anterior cervical corpectomy complications? Thanks!

Whenever anterior cervical corpectomy is advised than it usually means that the spinal cord is being affected and depending on the cause that is the underlying condition of your mom's cervical spondilosis and usually it is about spinal stenosis or more frequently bone spurs –which was the cause of my cervical osteoarthritis that was also treated with anterior cervical corpectomy surgery. Anyway my basic problem was herniated disc that have cause my cervical degeneration that was worsening by the age and at around 45 I was having unbearable neck and back pain that was spreading onto my arms but also was causing legs numbness and weakness until I was advised to have anterior cervical corpectomy and I am now pretty much free of the pain though it still persists but it is not that much severe. Anyway anterior cervical corpectomy also known as frontal approach is about making a small incision on the neck front and moving the trachea and esophagus so the surgeon could reach the cervical spine and that was how my herniated disk -or it may be bone spurs- was removed and also on the place of the removed disc some other bone part filled the gap so basically this anterior cervical corpectomy is about reconstruction of the degenerated cervical area and about releasing the spinal cord from pressure and therefore the pain but sometimes it happens this surgery fails or the symptoms persists still after anterior cervical corpectomy is performed and it all actually depends on the underlying cause of cervical spondylosis. And as for the anterior cervical corpectomy complications I was warned about possible infection and bleeding or blood clotting in my legs vein but in my case it all went well.