My husband is diagnosed with cervical stenosis. After all the time he lived with this problem we couldn’t wait when doctor will recommend any surgery to solve it finally. Now when he decided what the best solution for him is, I am a little bit worried. He said cervical discectomy would be appropriate treatment for his condition. I would like to know if that is right surgery for him, since I know our cousin had it too, and his problem was arthritic bone.

It doesn’t mean if your cousin had the same surgery for different problem, it wouldn’t be appropriate for your husband too. Cervical discectomy is commonly performed surgery for both cervical stenosis and cervical disc disease. Also it is effective in removing arthritic bone spurs, as your cousin had, that used to press on a nerve and cause arm and hand pain. During cervical discectomy, your husband will be positioned on his back on the operating room table with the neck kept in its usual position. Surgeon will make incision on either left or right side, according to the surgeon’s preference. When entrance is opened and inner structures of the neck are moved to needed side, disc is removed with special instruments. Drill is used to remove many of the bone spurs and protrusions. After cervical discectomy is done, incision is closed with stitches. Depends on a surgeon, he might be asked to wear a neck collar for several weeks following surgery. He will resume normal activity in about four weeks after cervical discectomy.