Hi. I had anterior cervical discectomy with fusion. My neck was in such pain, and so were my extremities. When to expect full strength since acdf?

Hi. I am scheduled for acdf and I`ve been reading a lot about acdf. I have found out a small incision is made to one side of the front of the neck. Sounds scarry, but I can`t stand the pain. My doctor told me I will get a specific post-operative recover/exercise plan that will help me return to normal life activities. He told me the amount of time I will have to be in the hospital for recovery depends on this plan. Also, he told me I will be able to walk in the hospital (normally) the very next day after the surgery. I fear of complications that may occur, such as infection, blood loss, bladder problems and other.

I am four years post op, massive stenosis radical corpectomy c4-c6, fusion 4-7 and plate 4-7. If you have a good surgeon, do not fear the process. Yes, your throat will hurt badly and no solid foods for a few days. I needed a walker and could not use my left arm when I went in. I walked out of the hospital 4 days later. I had full strength immediately, BUT had major restrictions on how much I could lift. 1 pound for 30 days, 5 pounds for 60, 10 to 120, then 25. Unrestricted after one year. It is based on how much you fuse. I was 90% fused at 1 year. Was back at work in 3 weeks. I was 46 and diabetic at time of surgery, so your mileage may vary. Would have been back sooner but my neck muscles had been locked for years and they hurt like everything turning loose post op. This surgery can provide miraculous results and I am proof of that!

After reading your reply, it give me a little hope about my surgery that is set for this June. I am a diabetic also and wonder how this would play apart in me having this surgery. I am 62 years of age and I am afraid of having this surgery but anything that will relieve this pain I am willing to do. I just do not want to be in pain any more. it seems as if I have no other life unless it is filled with pain for the past five years this is all I have known is pain. A body can only take so much. I find myself using Tramodol and Ambien together to put me to sleep for a while but when I do wake up the pain is still there. I hate doing it but that is the way I need to just rest for at least a hour and a half
without feeling anything. Thanks for your encouragement of what I am to expect after surgery and the things I must consider with my healing process. I never knew there was others out there who suffered the same as I do. Once again thanks.