Hello! My father has been diagnosed with cervical herniated disc. He is about to have a anterior cervical discectomy and spine fusion performed next week. I was wondering if this procedure is done on an outpatient basis id if I could take him home the same day. The reason I ask is that we live in a near by village and we have to travel to the clinic, so I need to make all the preparations for his arrival.

Hi there! This type of surgery can be performed either outpatient id going home the same day as surgery or with one overnight stay in the hospital. Your father shouldn’t feel a great deal of postoperative pain because the surgery is done through a small incision in the front of the neck, and the spine can be accessed in between tissue planes that do not require cutting. There could be some arm weakness and numbness or neck pain for a while. He may need to use a neck brace for some time after the procedure but that depends on a surgeon. About all the after care you should talk to your father’s surgeon or his/her stuff.

I just had this same surgery 3-weeks ago. It was a relativley easy surgery, but your father will need assitance getting up and down for the first 2-weeks. Make sure you have straws on hand, it makes it easier to drink things, and have some soft food available.
I am 3-weeks post-op and my neck wound is healed and I had NO pain at the incision site. My biggest question now is understanding if the pain I have now is a "normal" part of my recovery? I have severe shooting pains in my upperback and arm through the front of my chest. It comes and goes and sometimes it is a little scary.