Hi to everyone. Is there any herb that works as a natural antidepressant? If it is I would like to know which one. Thank you in advance.

Hypericum perforatum also known as "St. John's wort" is used popularly as a natural antidepressant. Although some clinical and experimental studies suggest it has some properties similar to conventional antidepressants, the proposed mechanism of action seems to be multiple. A non-selective blockade of the reuptake of serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine, an increase in density of serotonergic and dopaminergic receptors and an increased affinity for GABAergic receptors and moreover, the inhibition of monoaminoxidase enzyme activity has been involved. Experimental studies suggesting that H. perforatum exerts antidepressant-like actions, however, little information regarding the safety of H. perforatum is available, including potential herb-drug interactions.

From my own personal experience in dealing with depression for 4 years now and trying all kinds of treatments, natural and non-natural, the HOLISTIC MEDICINE may help. It has helped me some. I cannot say the same from the other treatments I have had. Holistic centers can be found in your yellow pages, however, the one I am attending is called Holistic Natural Center at (305) 822-1044 in Miami, Florida.

I have tried EVERYTHING from doctor prescribed drugs and natural treatments. One thing that helped me once, but only a temporary relief, because apparenlty my body got used to it, was 5-HTP at high dosages such as 600mg tp 800mg daily purchased at Body Chemistry: ******

tel: 1-800-243-6478 (this is a chemist who talks on the radio daily). I felt great relief and was believe or not after 7 months of treatment I was depression free and I mean COMPLETELY FREE, NO TRACE WHATSOVER, for 3 months. Yes, that is how short is lasted. My depression came back regardless of keeping my daily regimen of the same treatment and a strict diet they advise you by deleting all bad carbohydrates (eating the right foods help). Still searching for my cure I found a Holistic doctor which is now treating me and I am feeling some relief now after 11 months on a on and off treatment (on and off because they are expensive, @$200 monthly). This holistic doctor feels that the antidepressants drugs give you so much side effects that he does not know what is worse--the depression or the side effects of suicidal thoughts, the birth defects, memory loss, feeling druggy effect, no expression on your face effect, etc., etc., etc. Anyway, anything is worth a try for this devastating, no-cure illness. I hope my message can help.

Maggie

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

The best herb that is an antidepressant that I know, is cannibis...but it has it's own set of problems...