Hello, I would like to know something a bit more about painkillers, soma and carisoprodol. My mother has been having a lot of difficulties with her therapy. She had a minor car accident and damaged leg muscles only. But she still has to rest and be still as much as possible in order for those muscles to heal fast. She has some pain relievers, but I have heard that soma and carisoprodol might be very effective.

And you have heard right. Except for one thing. Soma is a brand name for carisoprodol, which means those two meds are actually the same thing and their effect is the same. And they help with the pain. A lot. I should know that, since I have been using it last year for my back pain, which diminished under the soma therapy.

First off, there is a long history of use & a wealth of information available if you google the word "opiate" or "opioid" & include "effects."

However, carisoprodol is less studied & less known. By my own use of the drug, I can attest to it definitely being a GABAergic (or acting on GABA receptors).. although technically its pharmacology, or 'mechanism of action', is not known by the medical community. But It's use (or MISUSE) displays all the classic symptoms of intoxication of other GABAergic drugs (such as alcohol, GHB, benzodiazepines, & barbiturates).. The most noticeable & inconvenient side effects of which include:: ataxia (discoordination), extreme sleepiness, & slurred speech. This drug is VERY short acting w/ a VERY short onset, so it's effects will "hit you" relatively quickly as well.

Hello Chrysa, Sorry top here about your mother, further i do like to inform you that soma and carisoprodol are not two different medicine. It is a muscle relaxent with brand name Soma and Generic name carisoprodol. This is an oral muscle relaxer used for the relief of discomfort associated with acute, muscloskeletal condition. Generic SOMA works by blocking pain sensation between the nerves and the brain. This mediciine is a centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant of which meprobamate, a controlled substance, is the primary active metabolite. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Carisoprodol/ Generic SOMA in April 1959. The recommended oral dose of Carisoprodol/ Generic SOMA 250mg or Carisoprodol / Generic SOMA 350mg is three times daily and at bedtime. Carisoprodol / Generic SOMA is advised only for short-term (2 to 3 weeks) relief of acute painful muscle and skeletal conditions in adults. Drowsiness, dizziness and headache are the most common side effects of Carisoprodol /Generic SOMA. Avoid taking Carisoprodol/ Generic SOMA before getting engaged in potential hazardous tasks, like driving automobile or operating machinery as SOMA may cause dizziness in some patients. While taking SOMA, avoid alcoholic beverages or other drugs such as antihistamines, tranquilizers and sedatives. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use