I have been taking Zoloft for two years. I am 34 years old and I am suffering from depression. Zoloft has helped me a lot but his side effects are the reason for me to quit using it. I have gain a lot of weight. So I would like to know are there some natural alternatives to Zoloft?

Hello. Yes, all antidepressants can have this side - effect. Actually, they do have a lot of them, but one that is most common is gaining weight. I don't know in which stadium is your depression, but before you switch off from Zoloft, you should talk to your doctor. Natural antidepressants can be a really amazing solution, but only if you are at the beginning of the depression. In that case, you should take roseroot herb because it is very helpful. Also, I would recommend you to get a pet. When you have a pet, you have an unconditional love and you have someone who is going to occupy your mind every day. It works, that is why all the experts say that dogs are for the healing process, no matter which healing process we are talking about. 

You should be careful with natural alternatives. They are not always the best solution. Herbal remedies could not be regulated properly so you can't know exactly how much you are putting it in your system and how other herbs react on it. It can serious side effects and can cause even death.

My 11 year old daughter has been on Zoloft for 3 years and she wants to stop it, I do not know if it is a good idea as she struggles with anxiety and suicidal thoughts, she also has OCD. She says she feels better, but I am sure its because of the zoloft. I dont know what to do.

studies have found that daily exercise is as effective as drugs for moderate depression. Give it a try, because if that works you'll be a lot healthier mentally and physically. About a half hour a day of moderate exercise like jogging and weight-lifting should do it.

Omega 3. If you google Omega 3 and depression you will find studies and discussions of the use of Omega 3 for "refactory" depression (ie, not responsive to drugs) and also about the Omega 6/3 ratios being out of whack in our diets.

I knew none of this when I started taking Omega 3 for heart health earlier this year. But within a couple of weeks I felt better than I had in years, as far as mood is concerned. All of the good and none of the bad. I highly recommend giving it a go. Unlike antidepressants it probably, at least, will do you no harm.

your a m***n

Winona, I know u posted this 6 yrs ago but I was looking something up for my mum and saw this. If u r still on Zoloft, which my sister was on something for 9 yrs. and had the same side effects u have and got off of it but went to our Bio Identical hormone therapy doctor and he first had her go totally gluten free for 3 months which helped out so much and then put her on bio identical tyroid med.. Just going gluten free she lost 42 lbs in 2 months and keeps losing a little here and there without trying. She is doing great from this. You suffer from depression because of hormone imbalance and pleaseeeee get your b12 serum and folate acid tested because this is a biggggggggggggg depression causer that doctors will not test u for which is real sad. Walking everday if possible is a huge way to fight off depression also. It is 10 times more effective then Zoloft. U will be a new person I promise. Find a good Bio Identical Hormone doctor even if u have to travel. Write if u need more help. Mk sure u do not do the synthetic hormones, veryyyyyyy bad for u and will cause cancer. ONLY natural and ONlY through a doctor. You do not want to try this yourself. Take Care, Trista : )

I see your post was 4 yrs. ago but if your daughter is still having problems I know something u really need to have checked on her. Docs. will not test for it so u have to insist that they do it. Have her B12 serum and folate acid tested. B12 deficiency does not discriminate on age. Your can be an infant or 90 and be B12 def.. You can die from your B12 being to low. B12 Def. will cause anxiety, suicidal thoughts and OCD. It is sad that the medical field does not address B12. So many problems come from this simple thing. B12 is so cheap but that is why they do not test it. It doesn't make them money and fixes the problem. There is a really good book that you can get on ebay to learn alot about B12 and your daughter. Could It Be B12? written by Sally M. Pacholok, R.N., B.S.N.. I promise u your daughter will thank you. Her problems will be gone complety within wks to a few months. The book tells u what is normal range which in the medical field it is diff. and not accurate. I hope this helps u and her.
Take care,
Trista : )

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I will definitely start on this program. The reason I am looking for alternatives to prescription drugs is the mess they have made of my daughters health.

Today there are alot of holistic doctors that can safely take your daughter off of zoloft and find out what the underlining cause is. Most people dont know that some foods they consume actually contributes to depression because they are allergic to it. Sometimes there is a delayed reaction where symthoms show up 3 days to a week later. With all this genetically modified foods i can see why there is so much disease and ailments today then there were say 50 years ago.We consume over 75% of the drugs nanufactured in the world today so we are not a healthy nation.Do yourself and your daughter a favor and find a holistic doctor to treat the underlining cause of her depresion rather then the symthoms. Todays conventional doctors dont know about the link between food and disease.Your daughter is not depressed because her body lacks zoloft. Its like taking your car to a mechanic because the "check engine " light came on and he places a piece of black tape over the light and says its fixed. You wouldnt accept that so why would you accept an anti depressant for your daughter. She is too young to be depressed,,Get online and check out holistic doctors on the internet that practice near you.Good Luck I hope you find one who helps you. God Bless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline Look at section on suicide. Zoloft has a Black Box Warning. It concerns patients under the age of 25 yrs. Ask your Dr.

Natural medicine work wonders, those Prozac Zoloft, might help you for a little while but have serious side effects, Natural medicine is great alternative and is "natural", can't be deadly, of course farmaceuticals companies they will advise you otherwise. I tried Theanine Serene with GABA and I m gonna start 5htp I heard that is great , it can work like Prozac but withouth the side effects, of course you have to start slowly like 50mg a day and not use them for more than 3 months,

Please get your child off Zoloft asap - wean her off at the safe level but its not for children

Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture?