Hi! For a month I use antidepressant. My doctor didn’t tell can I drink when I use antidepressant. I didn’t drink at all for a month. But, I want to sometimes drink a beer. May I drink alcohol while taking antidepressants?

Hi! For my personal experience I must tell you never use alcohol and antidepressants. There are a number of problems with the mixture of alcohol and antidepressants. Antidepressants make you especially susceptible to the intoxicating effects of alcohol. Alcohol prevents antidepressants from being effective. The use of alcohol leads to increased depression and panic symptoms, as well as, increases the risk of suicide. There are many consequence of taking a depressant alcohol and an antidepressant together. Don’t made mistake which I did.

It is not advised to use alcohol while taking anti-depressents - however, I have done so for years and experienced no ill effects. I take Zoloft and Ativan for anixety and drink quite a bit - no problems at all. Basically, I think the point is that if you are depressed drinking probably isn't a good idea because it makes suicidal thoughts and actions more palpable. However, if you are just anxious I have yet to encounter a doctor that finds the combination of alcohol and zoloft problematic to your overall health after the adjustment to the drug has been properly achieved. But you may not like the way the combination makes you feel, just play it feel and please do not drive as you are acclimating drinking in combination with antidepressants.

Best,
Jess

it all depends what anti-depressants you are taking as some have different chemicals in them for example if you are taking a hydrobromide based anti-depressant then the effects of taking alcohol would merely just increase the effects of the drug itself i.e ability to drive or handle machinery. And like stated above can increase suicidal thoughts. but it is always advisable to consult your GP and ask him/her what the side effects will be. I have been drinking on citalopram and as a whiskey drinker i have had no problems and it has not affected the effects of the pills. but it still is not advisable.

On friday i made the mistake of drinking on my anti depressents heavily, paired with the fact that i don't drink much it affectedly me badly and as a result i no longer want to drink for a while, my muscles cramped up and i got pins and needles everywhere. Mixing anti depressents with a depressent can affect your blood sugar levels, if you want to drink i wouldn't take anti depressents, if your on anti depressents you should take the course seriously and complete it properly without drinking. :-)

My husband is on several antidepressants, and I been telling him that he should not drink with them, because makes them not effective, but he won't listen to me, and I'm afraid that something bad could happen to him and he says that he 's not gonna buy anymore beer and all but he still does, and I know he's tired from work and all and he likes to drink, but think he drinks to much, like around 12 or more any advice??

I have been on antidepressant for 15 years and I'm a daily wine drinker.  I guess everyone is different.

I'm having the same issue with my husband. He said the psychiatrist told him I shouldnt be "regulating" his drinking. That's he's a grown man and can make his own decisions. He's drinking too much and I can see the negative effects....so I'm at a lost as well...I think for now I'll just back off because I've been pushed to play this mother role and honestly it's just making me miserable. Your not alone!