Hello. My mom has been suffering from depression for 3 years now and none of the therapies helped her. She did counseling, medications, even had electroshock therapy and none of these treatments managed to make her feel any better. However, I heard that there is a device called vegel vegis nurve stimulator that can be helpful in treating depression where other treatments failed. Is there anybody who could tell me more about it? Thx

I have been reading about this treatment and I remember that even though it has been approved by the FDA for treating depression it is still in the investigational (experimental) phase and the safety and efficacy of VNS in the treatment of depression has not been established. Also, the potential antidepressant effect of VNS has been reported to be most effective in patients with low-to-moderate, but not extreme, treatment-resistant depression. Vagal nerve stimulation involves implanting a pacemaker-like pulse generator under the skin in the upper left chest. A stimulation electrode connected to the generator is tunneled from the chest to the neck where it is attached to the left vagus nerve. There could be a problem with cost. The VNS device costs $12,000 and the cost of surgery to implant the device can run as high as $15,000.