that should be enforced with deadly force if violated.

1. If you take a water cup. Do not stop in the middle of the road you will likely impede someone's progress

2. If you are going to dump water do a courtesy look behind to see if you will splash someone.

3. Running with a partner is okay but make sure you allow people to pass once in a while.

4. Seed yourself properly, if you are a tortise, that is fine, but do not start with the hares.

add more as you see fit

5. As in driving, slow on the right, pass on the left.

6. Taking a break with walking? Do so on the right.

7. If you are going to throw cups, look before you toss.

8. If you're going to cross over in front of others for a water station, look first and point where you're going: do not cut them off.

9. Do NOT do that pass runner A fast, walk till runner A catches up, repeat thing. Especially with that smirk on your face. It is annoying as all hell.

Don't wear the race shirt during the race :o

Who cares about looking where you throw water... look before you spit!

snot rockets. Shoot to the side not to the rear.

Better yet, use your shirt as a tissue. It's gonna be gross postrace anyway.

10. Don't draft behind someone and trip them... not only once but twice

As with other rules, look first, then shoot.

11. Find the race director and thank them. They've given more hours to the race in time than you've trained to run it. Criticisms can be mailed later in a thoughtful letter or email. :D

No headphones means, no headphones.

No headphones means, no headphones.
I am biased with this one, of course, but I have NEVER had an issue with a music lover. It's those people talking to each other, so engrossed in their own conversation, that I have. I also notice that it's the headphone wearers that look around before throwing cups/getting water/moving around on the course, not those without.

Music lover here too. What's the reason, I never did ask anyone, why so many races don't want you to use headphones? I can see the rationale for no babyjoggers, strollers or pets on leashes, but why the beef with headphones?

Don't make a 90 degree turn to the first water station. Taking a gentle arching turn toward the water station. I'm always frustrated when I get cutoff by someone who isn't paying attention and makes an immediate right or left turn to get water.

Because people are generally more distracted when zoned out to music and not paying attenion to their surroundings, the race participants, and the road.
I've been cutoff by many folks wearing headphones in past races.

I know I've posted this before about the headphones, but here it goes again.
To get an insurance rider for a race, it typically comes through the USATF. They have some great rates. But one of their clauses and I would suppose any other insurance policy too would be that there is no strollers, bikers, skateboarders, or whatever else and also "no headphones". Because what that does is create more danger for that runner and ultimately more risk for insuring that race.
Now a race director isn't going to go around plucking off headphones because it's not his loss if you get hurt during a race while wearing them. But ultimately it will "void" your claim because you violated one of the clauses of participating in that race and being insurable. The insurance company will say it was your own fault (whatever it was that happens) because you didn't hear it coming with the headphones on.

So it doesn't come down to an elitist running attitude. It comes down to taking the risk of running a race without the insurance you've paid for as part of your entry fee and possibly risking having to pay the cost of any medical losses yourself.

Not really a pet peeve of mine, but just one of those "things" I wish more race participants knew... :shrug: