I notice that women are much more likely to wear headphones while running. Probably 70% of the women I see are wearing them, as compared to maybe 20% of men. Why are women more likely to use headphones? Or is it just a Baton Rouge thing?

Oddly enough, I see more men wearing headphones.

I wore headphones regularly in the gym because I got bored easily. I never wear headphones outside because I can't hear what is going on around me and that unnerves me.

I wore them for a long time except for races, until the Walkman finally gave out. Now if I run on a treadmill, I'll use 'phones about half the time; the rest of them, and anything non-treadmill, I don't. The adjustment to going without them was pretty easy.

:1: to all of this. At the park I see a lot more men wearing them than women. I also wear them on the treadmill to prevent insanity, but outside they make me really nervous

i wear headphones every time i put running shoes on. when i'm outside, i make more of an effort to know what traffic is doing and i really only run in parks or in my neighborhood where most of the traffic is squirrel related.

i'd never wear headphones in a race, i have a hard enough time staying out of the path of other runners. i've tried the headphones in a half but find they're too much of a distraction.

i can't train without music. :| can't say i've noticed more women than men wearing headphones though. :shrug:

:1: To all of it. During my usual runs outside I run with headphones in, just the volume is kinda low. The music keeps me moving. When I run with a group on saturdays, no headphones. Races, no headphones. I haven't seen many other runners but all the ones I've seen don't run with headphones at all.

I notice around here more women wear headphones than men. But then again, I tend to notice women more than men anyways.

:1: I could have written that.
Sheldon

I haven't run with headphones in over 10 years. Usually I'm running with others. And when I'm alone I like to hear what's around me. I would admit it would be nice to have some music to keep me motivated on long runs when I'm mostly running solo. The same 2 lines of a song over and over in my head usually dosen't do it for me.

I use them all the time...all the time.

Did you get that?

When I ran, I wore headphones only when I trained, never during a race.

When I see people running in the city, when I am working, I notice more of the women are wearing headphones.