Those of you that know your ideal race weight, how did you come up with that magic number?

I think I went to a link somewhere and they had a calculator or something?

I don't really remember. Although the weight was 150.

Dumb luck.

Seeing as I don't have the choco willpower of a certain bottledweller, my weight has fluctuated over the years enough to have a range of race performances at various weight levels. And I even had a bout back in college of getting to 148 at 6' which was probably too thin. I race best in my 160s (which I need to work at getting down to ).

At 6', I got down into the upper 140's when I was sick once. Most of the time I hung around in the mid-150's though. Hitting the weights and riding tons has brought me up 170 although when I hit the scale last night, I was at 167.

6'1" here and sitting at 159 pounds.

116 based on race performances......however, it may even be a little lighter.......don't know.....don't want to.....don't even like staying at 116....there is a BIG difference between 116 and 118 and it's the difference of looking thin vs anorexic.

163 lbs for me is what i'm healthiest at. I've been lower and feel weak when I get under 160. I guess I'm 5'9" now, used to be 5'10", I'm shrinking with age. When I was lifting weights heavier a year or so ago I was up around 167-8 lbs.

Bob Glover's New Competetive Runner's Handbook has a chart that is eerily accurate for my times.

Just under 170 is the best. To be an "elite" I would have to go beyond that, but for an average Joe with a Jay-Oh-Bee, between 165 and 172 seems to be ideal. I'm 6-2.5, also.

What's it say for 6'-0" male?

5' 9", 146 lbs. I have always been light and skinny. Last few year when I was slightly shorter (5' 8.5) I was sitting at around 138 lbs and my weight fluctuated between 141 lbs and 133 lbs.

6-0 Male

Elite - 144 (5k 14:30, 10k 30:00)
Adv and Champion Competitors - 158 (5k 14:30-19:30, 10k 30:00-40:00)
Novice and Basic Competitors - 148-184 (5k 23 and under, 10k 48 and under)

The last two entries are two categories merged together, which is why the ranges are so big.

His definition of Novice, Basic, Advanced, Champion, and Elite runners based on race times seems pretty accurate to me.

Also, the projections he makes in his book from weekly mileage, race time predictions, speed work times, etc are VERY accurate for what I have experienced over the last 3 years. FWIW.

He also said if you aren't in the proper weight range, to stop eating or purge yourself after meals until you in the proper range.
OK, I made that part up myself.

I'm 6 foot even. I typically weigh around 140-145. When I have a long race coming up, I'll try to get my weight around the 145-147 range. This is done with my hydration and decreased activities in the last few weeks. I have a feeling that once I start working on weights next week that I'll slowly increase to the 145-150 range.
WHOO HOO!!! I'M IN THE ELITE WEIGHT RANGE!! I doubt I could do a 30min 10K though and my 5k is slightly off those times.

I'm probably not too far from a 19:30 5K or a sub 40 10K, but I hope I don't ever see 158 lbs. again. 8O I guess I could lose 10 lbs. of fat, but it would be awfully difficult.

oh great.... i'm at the ideal weight for someone probably 5" taller than me...

Dang... I'm considered advanced by this guy as my 19:22 5k time earlier this year proves....