THE ROAD RUNNERS CLUB OF AMERICA TIPS FOR RUNNING SAFETY

1.DON'T WEAR HEADSETS. Use your ears to be aware of your surroundings. Using headphones, you lose the use of an important sense: your hearing.

2.Always stay alert and aware of what's going on around you. The more aware you are, the less vulnerable you are.

3.Carry a cell phone or change for a phone call. Know the locations of call boxes and telephones along your regular route.

4.Trust your intuition about a person or an area. React on your intuition and avoid a person or situation if you're unsure. If something tells you a situation is not "right", it isn't.

5.Alter or vary your running route pattern. Run in familiar areas if possible. In unfamiliar areas, such as while traveling, contact a local RRCA club or running store. Know where open businesses or stores are located.

6.Run with a partner. Run with a dog.

7.Write down or leave word of the direction of your run. Tell friends and family of your favorite running routes.

8.Avoid unpopulated areas, deserted streets, and overgrown trails. Especially avoid unlit areas, especially at night. Run clear of parked cars or bushes.

9.Carry identification or write your name, phone number, and blood type on the inside sole of your running shoe. Include any medical information. Don't wear jewelry.

10.Ignore verbal harassment. Use discretion in acknowledging strangers. Look directly at others and be observant, but keep your distance and keep moving.

11.Run against traffic so you can observe approaching automobiles.

12.Wear reflective material if you must run before dawn or after dark.

13.Practice memorizing license tags or identifying characteristics of strangers.

14.Carry a noisemaker and/or OC (pepper) spray. Get training in self-defense and the use of pepper spray.

15.CALL POLICE IMMEDIATELY if something happens to you or someone else, or you notice anyone out of the ordinary. It is important to report incidents immediately.

And the one that I wish I had learned at an earlier age:

16. Don't eat yellow snow.

:D

Hmmm, I think some of those are edging towards paranoia. Such as avoiding unpopulated areas.... that's half the reason I run!!

ugh, #1- perhaps it has great meaning, being so high on the list, but no headphones!! 8O i've tried running without them and thoughts like this is boring or i'm tired kept of popping into my head i doubt i'd enjoy running as much as i do if it weren't for the music.... but i am responsible, and do follow rules like not running after dark (i can't see!!!) or not eating yellow snow (ewwww, lemon flavored)

Way too paranoid for me. I agree with unicuber.

I actually go against number 12.....I wear my reflective only with a group. If I'm alone in the dark (once in a blue moon), I will be exact alert for traffic, etc.....I don't want to be spotted. I've had cars come after me when I was reflective because they were "confused" as to what I was.

To those that wear headphones---I caution, the following. i used to run alot of country roads and you do need to hear traffic. I almost got clipped off by a car that swung so far into the oncoming lane at a high rate of speed that he was on the shoulder where I was running. Because I wasn't wearing headphones, I was able to hear the difference of one car coming at normal speed and a second coming fast and jump into the ditch.

I think if I did not have earphones, I would not be able to run my lsd's. Besides, they just make me more alert to have them on. If I get hinked up, I just take one earphone off and place it against my head so I can hear with one ear.
Kel

I've seen you say that before and I think there is definitely something to that.
Some of these may be a little 'paranoid' or what not, but for city running (which is all I know) a lot of them aren't that far from the realm of possibility. Also, often times better to err on the side of caution than to learn the hard way.