Next month we will have our marathon here in town.

The course passes by on the very place where I work, and so as we have decided to have a water/gaterade stand as the runners go by.

This is a race where our sports writer (all 300 lbs of him) back in Jan decided to run the marathon, but has not posted any progress reports since May.

So at work the higher ups are looking for people to run this race ( and as they have discovered), (yes they are clueless) no one is commiting to running the full or 1/2 thon, but some will "TRY" and do the 5K or pass out water to the runners.

which brings me to me.

Its pretty much a given that I run races, all over North America, and have the medals and bib numbers on my office wall as a testament to my running. So I'm being asked (gently) to run this race. Told the folks I don't know as this was not on my list of races to do.

So now I'm getting grief (indirect) about not running this race as we are a major contribtor, and now people want me to wear company related logos (hat) as I'm running.

I run for me, and don't like this whole issue of doing a race for the company and not for me.

Thoughts.

S99

Would you be in a position to be prepared to run it? I would hate to have ill feelings towards me by my own company if I didn't run. Maybe do the half. I know you like running your races for YOU, but it's either they praise you, or lose some respect for you (sadly).

Sorry to hear that Morpheus.
Could you just claim you aren't in shape for the marathon??
Just an idea, since I doubt most people there know how much training it takes for a marathon.

If it were me, I'd do the half at and easy pace and count it as a long run. That way, you've killed two birds with one stone.

a) made the bosses happy by running in the race
b) you've knocked out your weekly long run

the said run the race
not race the run

my advice

just run
who cares about the time

running the 1/2 and treating it as a long run seems to be a decent solution to the dilemma. but i can certainly see why you'd be upset with the pressure on you to run, esp. when the sports writer appears to have backed out. i think I'd agree to run, then really talk it up, making sure that the sports guy hears it. or even getting people to pressure the guy for not following through.

Another vote for the 1/2 as a long run. Tell them you have to take long lunches to get ready for it :D

Now THAT, my friend, is an excellent idea!

Since they are clueless about what it takes to run a race, tell them you need a bunch of paid days to "train."

Seems like we could turn this into one great event for you every year!

To run the whole 26.2 miles the answer is no.
Because of injuries to my foot and my neglect to rehab it till mid June, I made a decision to slowly build up my running to be ready for Madision next year running all 26.2 miles.
I'm at the point of being able to run and finish a 1/2 marathon, but the course here is pretty hilly and brutal in the first 6 miles (I've ran parts of it in my 3 AM runs) so I know it will force me to run slower or crash in the process.
I try to keep my personal running away from my professiona working. As I use running as my own personal therphy, and believe it or not get more company related problems solved running.
MY big grief is the non-runners not knowing the time and effort it takes to train for these races, and their whole indifferent thinking that its only a few miles, what do you mean you can't run it.
Plus the whole we'll doing our part by handing out water to you guys, the least you can do is carry the flag....................since you're a runner.
That burns my @ss to no end, when I hear comments like this.
Thanks so far, and thanks to Genie for some added wisdom.
S99

S99

Since the company is putting the pressure on...I'd turn it around and tell those giving you a hard time that you'll only do it if they agree to 'run' with you...maybe that experience will go a long way of educating them to what it takes...who knows maybe a couple of them may get into the experience and will actually begin training to participate next year..

Yeah, put it on the table that you will run the half if a few people sign up for the 5K. I totally understand where you are coming from, but you still need to think about your work relationships, as much as that sucks.

It sounds like the race preparation issues are really secondary to your contempt for any corporate affiliation with your running, which you consider highly personal. You had a thread sometime ago expressing your resentment at having your arm twisted to subscribe to the paper you work for, no?

Keith, take this in the right light, but bringing your bibs and medals into the workplace sends a mixed message from wanting to keep your running personal. Like EL, I remember your post on the subscription deal. Yeah, higher ups are clueless, but what's the bigger message that will be sent by running the halfM? I'd say you'll be seen more as one amazingly fit co-worker "walking the walk instead of talking the talk" when it comes to running. I'd be suprised at anyone pinning the "corporate sellout" label from simply participating. Being a race organizer myself, getting and keeping sponsors is difficult, burning this bridge can only wound future races I suspect ..just :twocents: