I've always ran with headphones, and i am wondering if there's any downsides to it?

In urban areas, you won't hear traffic, horns, "excuse me" from other pedestrians, hollers of "look out"... or conversely, if you run in rural areas you won't hear the serene sounds of the wind, river rapids, birds, rustling leaves...the good stuff

:1:
[Anti-headphone soapbox]
Don't forget dogs, muggers etc. There is a reason they are illegal when driving. They diminish your ability to react to your environment. I have had some of my martial arts students mugged. One specifically escapped because she heard him and reacted as he grabbed her.
[/Anti-headphone soapbox]

If I run on the street I won't were headphones for the above reasons. I came across a female runner this morning @ 5:30am and passed here on the left and scared the piss out of her cause she was wearing headphones and didn't here my "on the left!" call. Now just think if I would have been a mugger....easy target!

When I ran, I only trained with headphone, but I kept them at a low volume. After awhile, I left the home, I found the sound of silence to be a great stress reliever

socially: URBAN areas it makes you a good target for cyclist and inline skaters. I'll give ya 2 yells and then i'll blow by ya.

training, to easy to get caught up and "move to the beat" therefore braking your pace which could there fore either not give you the run you hoped for or burn you out for tomorrow's run.

I only wear mine for speed workouts on the track for all the above reasons. (and then I keep them very low)

I only wear them on the treadmill.

first of all, bill, i like your signature :D
second, i live in the surburbs, forgot to mention it!
i only run on the sidewalks by the bolevard, or at the paved park next to the elementry school.....so i'm still not sure if i want to say goodbye :cry: to my music......
there's always people around (my parents makes sure of it :D )
BUTwould it help me impropve my speed in someway? or endurance?
anyways, i'll try without headphones a few times see if i enjoy it...thanks for your input!

When I first started running last year, I wore them all the time, even for my first two races. Then I got used to not having the tunes and found out that I absolutely LOVE to run without music and just listen to the sounds of nature. I live in a very small town near NH. I find that it's much more peaceful and I get more out of the run without the headphones. Not only that, I like to listen to my surroundings to make sure that I'm not being followed by a bear or a weirdo...or a car. The only time I use them is when I am forced to use the treadmill, it makes the time go by faster. :wiggle:

I wore headphones during the regional race walk meet last Saturday, and the administrator was fine with it. But singing loudly might annoy the others.

Ramsey

Surly there should be a frequently asked questions bit for this, i see this asked every week almost :D....said faq should also included topics of treadmill running vs street running.

I stopped using headphones, except for running on the track after practice. I found that it's much more peaceful, plus I figured out that I get bored of the music faster than I would get tired of running. Thanks for everyone's advice.