I'm going for a small cross country race next weekend (6.7 km). The problem is that it will be in a heavy training week. I'm planning to replace Friday's tempo run with the race (it will be more of a training run than a race). I have a long run scheduled the day after the race...Is it alright to go ahead and do the race and long run on 2 days back-to-back? Or should I rearrange my training week?

it depends sometime for me. sometimes I used races as tempo workouts.

I don't see a problem with it. I've been known to sneak in an easy ride or run in the PM if I raced in the AM.

With the base that you've got.... no problem.

strongly urge you to try. Alot of people might advise that running fast and following up with long could be a bad thing.....but you are young and healthy....I think you could be pleasantly surprised.

I usually race on Saturday and run a 15 miler on Sunday.

I often try to do a long run the day after a low-key race. The only issue I might see is if you haven't done much hills or cross country running, you might be too sore to pull off a long run the next day. The same might be true if you ran the race extremely hard.

BTW, I've tried the reverse (race the day after a long run) and that is a disaster.

Take it day by day...

Running long after a race isn't a problem unless you are pushing the envelope. If the race was taxing on your body, adding a long run may prove injurious. However, a long run after a hard race may aide in recovery if you can keep it aerobic and at a comfortable pace.

I would schedule it, then see how you feel.

Sheldon

Thanks guys...Craig has a point..I haven't done cross country races since high school 4 years ago but I've worked consistently on the hills this summer so that might help a bit (the race course is reportedly undulating from the course description). I'll schedule the long run and see how my body feels the day after the race. I'll let you know how it goes next Sunday... :)

A long run ( 18 to 22 miles ) the day after racing is the norm over this way Tim and that is year round not just our winter road/cross country season but during track season too.
Our hard core group of runners normally run this every Sunday at Mt. Dandenong which in the main is hilly tracks and some dirt roads.
I always thought it was the ideal way to scedual your week.

Just curious what kind of weekly & monthly mileage do the members in your group there usually put in?... sounds like pretty big totals.