I've been on the depo for the second time now.  once right after my daughter was born in2004  for about a year, and currently restarted in 2009 I believe.  I want to look into other options because the weight gain is driving me nuts.  Apart from the weight gain I have had no complaints.

"Depo-Provera is a branded progestogen-only contraceptive, depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA) long acting reversible hormonal contraceptive birth control drug that is injected every 3 months. It is an aqueous suspension for depot injection of the pregnane 17α-hydroxyprogesterone-derivative progestin medroxyprogesterone acetate."  Wikepedia.

The weight gain has been significant over the 2+ years because I've gone from about a size 8 to almost a 12/14 in most women sizes.  Also bad for knees (little cartilege left in them from being knockkneed) and back (scoliosis) which causes discomfort.  I learned with birth of daughter that (which also has occured in my family once before) that low estrogen birth control pills....I concienved my daughter, and a maternal aunt concieved my cousin same way.  (Birth control & condoms).

The doctors dont suggest the patch since the generic ones tend to not stick and since on unemployment and going through planned parenthood now generic is usually what is perscribed.   My sister recommends IUD but my skin does the turning green around copper jewelry so unsure if it would not like the copper IUD's.  Also the hormonal one she is recommending has weight gain too (just not in her case... 3 kids and still barely 110).

Anyone have any ideas?   I am 29 now, I don't want to ruin the chances of ever having kids.  (bf is still a little iffy around having one of his own) but I don't want to run the risk of another unplanned.  (even though love my daughter). 

I'm not to worried about the acne, had child onset, adult onset, the increase with the shot.  What worries me are:

The reports ofloss of sexual drive or dryness (I'm rather small down there in first place so afraid of added pain), also have heard reports of hair loss, BP increase to hypertension (I'm extremely low BP..not allowed to give blood..believe me I've tried), and afraid of it making it impossible to have children.