I have been on the depo shot for about a year now and I'm still getting some sort of period, but it is brown and sometimes black... never red. Also when ever my boyfriend and I have sex I start bleeding. We aren't rough or anything it just starts bleeding brown blood... what's going on?

It seems your cervix is holding onto old blood which is brown, new blood is red.  When you are having sex I think your bf is gently hitting your cervix and causing this blood to discharge.

When is the last time you had a physical with the doctor?  You should get your cervix checked to make sure everything is OK, that is a long time with old blood in your body.

I have a yearly check and we have done an ultrasound and they said everything seems normal

Hmm, strange. Seems your body is confused on depo. Not sure if you should have a period or not.

Sorry I can't help further. Maybe repost this question and get someones opinion other than me. Good luck!