I have been on the depo shot for four years now so i have not had a period in almost three years or more. Me and my husband plan to have kids hopefully in a year or two but i have read many articles the past week about how women could not concieve or it took over a year to get pregnant. there was only one incccident that i read where the girl quit depo and had no problems concieving four months after quitting but there are some sights by doctors that say it could take up to 6 to 12 months before being able to concieve. I have a shot coming up soon for the depo again but should i take it or switch birth control or stop taking birth control all together in order to be able to concieve next year. I am really worried if i keep taking it i will not be able to concieve or i may have trouble concieving. i am only twenty but i will be turning twenty one in march.

Hi Jen,

My suggestion would be to use another form of birth control for now.  Get off Depo.

It is true that it can take a while for a women to get pregnant coming off of Depo, many women take 10 months or even longer.  The longer you've been on Depo, the longer the time it can get take to get pregnant.

Nobody can predict when you'd get pregnant.  It can take some women up to a year even when they have never used birth control.  We don't begin to consider fertility issues until a year has passed.

Good luck.  Hope it helps.

it definitely makes me feel a little better it seems like every thing I read every one is dissing depo and making depo look like the problem they cant concieve

There is nothing wrong with Depo. The problem is that many couples decide "we're ready" and don't understand that a long-lasting birth control means it can take time to conceive.

You're getting ready in plenty of time. Switching to another form of birth control now is the SMART move!

Hi JenBuc,

The depo shot really messes your body up as it has mine I went on it at age 15 for really heavy and out of control periods and stayed on it for almost 4years and then I changed to the implant for 10months then me and my fiance decided we wanted to start a family and have been trying for over a year and I have only had 2-3 actual periods and my doctor said you only get a period when you successfully ovulate and going on the oral pill to regulate periods doesn't actually help so i would suggest coming off it now and just using condoms unless you want to start trying for a baby now. Good luck I hope you have better luck than me.