Last month I started to feel pain in my abdomen. I also lost my appetite which resulted in weight loss. I was worried and naturally went to see my doctor. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I am 25 and female. I would apreciate more informations. Thanx.

Ulcerative colitis is a disease that causes inflammation and soars, called ulcers. They are usually located on the rectum and lower part of the colon. Ulcerative colitis rarely affects small intestine, except for the end section. Inflammation causes diarrhea because it makes the colon empty frequently. Ulcerative colitis usually occurs in people between the age of 15 and 30. It is not clear what causes ulcerative colitis but there is a theory that some people's immune system reacts to a virus or bacteria by causing inflammation in the intestinal wall. The most common symptoms of ulcerative colitis are abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea. Other symptoms are weight loss and loss of appetite like in your case, fatigue, rectal bleeding, loss of body fluids etc. Treatment for ulcerative colitis depends on the severity of the disease. Most patients are treated with medications but in sever cases the need surgery to remove the diseased colon. Each person can react to this disease differently and because of that the treatment is adjusted for each individual.