Hi. I`m 52 years old male and had some rectal bleeding, followed by abdominal pain, fatigue and weight loss. When I went to see a doctor, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, a disease that causes ulcers, in the lining of the rectum and colon. Does anybody know what could be the cause of my disease? I`ve never smoked and I don`t drink. I`m on a drug therapy now and will probably have to go to a surgery.

Hi. There are many theories about what causes ulcerative colitis. All the patients diagnosed with ulcerative colitis have abnormalities of the immune system. And yet, medical experts can`t say whether these abnormalities are a cause or a result of ulcerative colitis. It is believed that your body’s immune system reacts abnormally to the bacteria in the digestive tract. Emotional distress or sensitivity to some foods are believed not to be the cause, but they may trigger the symptoms of ulcerative colitis in some persons. The everyday stress can also trigger the symptoms.