I have got ulcerative colitis and have been feeling EXTREMELY, breaking point stressed over the last month. At the same time my ulcerative colitis have gotten much, much worse. This brings me to the question - is it possible that ulcerative colitis is actually caused by stress? What do you think about this possibility?

There is no evidence suggesting that ulcerative colitis is caused by stress, which does not mean that it is not, of course. At the same time though, there is some evidence that the symptoms of ulcerative colitis are aggravated by stress. That is consistent with what you are describing. You already had ulcerative colitis, your symptoms were just worsened by recent stress. Is that correct?

Dear Carey,

Yes, stress is directly related to UC. I have had colitis for the last 5 years and am on antidepressants. Whenever the stress gets worse, the colitis worsens. It can be reduced by treating the stress and will get better. This is from personal experience and have proved it again and again. So, yes, your UC will worsen with stress.

virge1844 wrote:

Yes, I still have colitis. Stress directly affects my colitis. I did not say colitis is caused by stress, just that it makes it worse. Do you have any experience with colitis?