I am a 25 year old female and am not sure if I would ever go through this again...

Getting your tonsils out is a very painful experience. (to say the LEAST!) Be prepared for some serious pain...it's a very miserable

The surgery went very smoothly, I woke up with pain and nausea, they gave me a shot of anti nausea medication which worked wonders. I was in the recovery room for about 3 hours and went home. The first few days were very painful, however the pain seemed to get worse. I could not eat, swallow, tongue hurt etc. 4 days after the surgery I had a fever of 101.8. I was very sick. I did not get out of bed at all that day. I have been keeping an ice pack on the right side of my face 24/7. This helps numb the earache, jaw and swollen neck area etc. Over the weekend I was feeling a bit better, however on Monday I had severe pain. I woke up crying because I felt like there was glass in the back of my throat. This whole time I was taking Roxicet, liquid percocet, it never took the pain away completely, but it did make me sleep. I slept on average 20 hours a day for the first week. I was in and out of conscioisness while "watching" dvd's. I have had a humidifier on 24/7 in my room where I have been spending most of my time. This moistens the air so your throat won't get dry when you sleep. Tuesday, which was yesterday I went to the Emergency Room for dehydration. I know it is very important to drink, but when you feel like you are getting dental work done in the back of your throat without novicane, it's very hard to swallow. Needless to say I was on an IV for about 2-3 hours last night. They gave me Vicodin for the next few days to see if it will help with the pain. They also told me to gargle with 1 part liquid Benedryl and 1 part liquid Mylanta. This actually soothes the mouth and throat and almost numbs it for a little while. I have had diarrhea the entire time since the surgery, which was 9 days ago. My throat is still in a lot of pain, I am FORCING myself to drink and hydrate myself. Since taking the Vicodin I have not been as sleepy as I was on the Roxicet. I have not had a morsel of food since September 27th at 11pm....it is October 7. I do not have a scale and do not know how much weight I have lost, but I do not feel like I have lost a lot...but then again who knows. I am feeling very weak and want this to be over. I still have another week off of work so I will hopefully be fully recovered.

Keep tissues near you at all times because you might not be able to swallow your own saliva. After the first week the white stuff in the back of your throat starts falling off and you will want to spit it out...ew!

Oh sweetie I feel for you. I hope the pain goes away soon. I have never had a tonsilectomy and to be quite honest, I've never had throat issues at all and I'm 40! I get a sore throat maybe once or twice a year, if that. I will keep you in my prayers and hope this is better before you go back to work. Sending hugs your way.

I am a 56 year old female scheduled to have a tonsillectomy on Monday due to pits on my tonsils (one which cannotin be cleaned out). Very seriously thinking of canceling the entire procedure. Why did you have yours removed? How are you now?

i had my tonsils out on 23.10.09. i cant believe how painful it is! especially at night. when did your pain start to go properly? i cant seem to see a silver lining at the moment. feel so depressed!

I am 47 years old and had a tonsillectomy on October 26. The surgery wasn't as bad as I had imagined, but the recovery has been very painful. I am on Day 10, and just today I finally experienced a decrease in pain. It was just day after day after day of really bad throat pain. I was taking Lortab every 3-4 hours, and ibuprofen every 6 hours. These drugs helped to make the pain just barely bearable. There were a couple nights when I slept through my dosing time, and when I did wake up, the drugs were all worn off and the pain was absolutely horrible! I think the recovery for tonsillectomy is worse than recovery from childbirth, in the sense that after having a baby, the pain is worst on the third day, but then each day it gets better and better. With tonsillectomy, the pain worsens until Day 5, or 6, or 7 and then plateaus. If I had known how painful it would be, I think I still would have done it, because at least now the tonsils are gone and I won't have the problems they caused. All I can say is, good luck, and be prepared to be miserable for 10 days, but then it will get better.

I am 24 years old and on Post Op Day 6. I had been eating pretty much nothing but spaghetti o's for the first couple days because they slide down your throat. However, I also ate a few cheeseburgers from McDonalds after taking itty bitty bites and chewing them up really well. I learned that after I try to eat my throat starts to close up, so I decided to play it safe and not eat anything except ice cream/liquids anymore. What used to be all white in the back of my throat has turned red and feels like glass is scraping me everytime I swallow. It hurts when I yawn, burp, cough, laugh...can't turn my head from side to side. But I have no ear pain and if I take my lortab elixir before bed I can sleep wonders. It's just a nightmare when I wake up. The humidifier doesn't work with my throat...not sure why. I have tried ice packs on my throat, luke warm tea from my favorite place...Starbucks, and even pumpkin pie filing....nothing seems to work or make it feel better. I cannot wait til this pain goes away! If I knew it would be this bad and horrible I would have just kept my tonsils in and dealt with my 106+ fevers when I had strep....like 12 a year. They never lasted this long, it was more of a pain trying to bring my fevers down and get fluids in me.....

My question is.... since the white stuff in the back of my throat is turning red, is that bad? Plus, the doc knicked my uvula because the top of the left side is white too. But the bottom of the uvula that hangs down is yellow.....is that bad??

I am 19 years old and am on day 15 of post tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy. My pain has finally let up a little after 2 weeks, but not a whole lot. I have been reading that other's scabs have been falling off around days 5- 10 and I still have mine. Has anyone else had theirs stay on this long? I still have not ate any solids and i am craving a cheeseburger from mcdonalds, and finally feeling like maybe i can attempt to eat one :-) My uvelea is still very swollen as well as my tongue. And no matter how much I sit upright when sleeping i wake up whith them even more swollen, almost umbearable - as well as my swallowing still. OUCH! I have to admit If i knew that the pain was going to still be this bad after 2 weeks i would not have gone with surgery. Is anyone else experiencing horrible pain still (after 2 weeks) and taking FOREVER to heal?

I am almost 22 and have to get mine out on the 29th!! reading this i am now scared and feel like crying.. i have to get mine out because of the chronic infections and possible cancer on the right tonsil!!! it sounds horrible and am less then thrilled expierencing it!!! i am sorry to those who have had their out!!!

I just had a tonsillectomy, adnoidectomy and surgery to repair a deviated septum all at once, on Wednesday, April 11th.  Today is Sunday and the pain isn't getting any better yet.  However, I did eat some cottage cheese today.  First solid food in 5 days.  Unfortunately, I ended up getting an upset stomach.  UGH!  I have had a few surgeries done in the past, one including a complete hysterectomy, and also bore 3 children, and those pains were nothing compared to this.  I know it sounds exaggerated, but honestly, it isn't.  I cannot even explain properly how much this hurts.  It's like............the worst sore throat you've ever had x10!  If I'd only known it was this bad, I would not have gone through with it.  Or I would have at least waited and got one surgery done at a time.  My nose feels fine, a little sore, but not painful.  But ooooohhhhhh, that uvula in back of my throat is soooooo swolen.  It actually has taken the shape of a PEAR!  Now, I am 45 years old, and they say the older you are, the harder it is.  I'm kinda thinking, they're probably right.  I keep up on my meds and am sucking on plenty of ice chips.  Hopefully I will soon see a break in this pain.  I would not do this again if I had the choice.  The only good part is, the family feels sorry for me, and can't do enough.  So for now, I will continue to eat that up, and see how many more days of this awesome treatment I could get away with as I know it will come to an end much sooner than I'd like it to! lol

Lordy Lordy.... this brings back some nightmarish memories for me! I was 24 when my name finally came up on the waiting list and then I got the worst cold i'd had in my life... because I'd been waiting for years to qualify - u have to have strep throat 12 times in a calendar year, so that's Jan-Dec... none of this Feb-Jan...oh-no! The Powers That Be state very clearly it must be in a calendar year, and THEN you can go on the public waiting list, I'd been on it for coming up 2 years. 
Anyway, I was SO mad, the docs said they would defer it for a further 2 weeks because of my cold...i'm like, i don't mind, just do it! But they said all this stuff about infections,breathing difficulties, etc etc... So, I went back, still with a heavy cough, (which I hid) in the waiting room.... in and out in 10 minutes, and when I came to, my throat hurt so bad, i was crying, and they explained it'd feel bad for a few days but I'd be fine. Which was all true, except they said I'd be able to swallow normal food in 2days...LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!!!!
They put me in a wheelchair where I got a cup of tea and a manky old sandwich, which i FORCED down, still mostly anaesthetised not having anything to eat the night before, i was hungry! Then I went home. That night was ok, but even the packet instant cream of pumpkin soup was too lumpy, i just couldn't do it.
Well, if you're reading this particular discussion, you'll know what happened next....12 days of incredible pain and fever, I couldn't even swallow my own saliva, had a BIG box tissues and a rubbish bin next 2 my bed... but I had to take the antibiotics, codeine and tramadol, so 2 distract myself from the AGONY of swallowing ANYTHING, i punched my right thigh, hard, each time I HAD to swallow, tho mostly i just spat. Worked until I had to change thighs, because there was a massive bruise after a few days! Right now I have a bulging disc and sciatica that's paralysing me, but I can't tell you which one is worse, adult tonsillectomy = bad bad BAD pain.
My throat went black and yellow... so gross, my poor husband had to sleep in the same room as my awful breath! 
The things we do for love, eh?
If you're about to have one... plan on being in PAIN for at least 8-10 days, i could only just swallow milk @ 12 days.. good for weight loss tho.... but a damned painful way to achieve it, lol!
Hope everyone's feeling a bit better now,
bless,
goldie:-@

I am 16 and am schedulde to have mine out next tuesday, reading this made me want to cry.

I'm 23 had mine out last Tuesday spent the night in icu was told go home you will be fine . Well I was now I can't move I feel like I'm swallowing rasior blades I feel so hot can't eat hardly can drink have huge pills I have to try and swollow I cry for an hour after it hurts that much. I would kill to to the hospital right now so they could just take sum pain away :(

I'm 18 just had a tonsillectomy and a adenoidectomy. I've been sick the entire time. :( I feel like I'm dying! When does the pain get better? And the illness ? Thank you

i am a 31 year old and yes im still in pain and still in the healing process at day 16, this sucks

I'm on day 3 of my operation. Seem ok so been eating and drinking normally! I eat a meal within hour a of waking up after the operation! I've started to get bad diarrhoea though! Doesn't seem as bad as every body eles operation feel lucky!