I had neck fusion c4c5c6c7 about 5 years ago and it went great. I started having problems that looked like carpel tunnel in both hands. I had the surgery for my right hand but did not relieve either hand. went back to the Dr. who did my original surgery, MRI was done and the top above previous surgery was herniated. had c3c4 fused and ad c6c7 redone. pain in both arms got worse,I could feel my heart beat in both arms, I would serious jolts and numbness in both arms. I had to go back in for more surgery this time they did a posterior cervical spine surgery. Dr. cut me from just above my hair line to the middle of my shoulders, took two bones and some spurs. The original problem is gone, but now I have tingling in both hands around thumbs and little fingers. and tingling that runs up and both arms. It has been 2 weeks since last surgery and i am wondering if this tingling and discomfort will ever go away.

I don't know for sure but given that it has only been 2 weeks I think it's likely that it will go away. I'm having a posterior laminectomy/foraminotomy on 7/12 without fusion - and those are the pains that I have (neck hurts but mostly above elbow down through fingers) and why I'm having the surgery. When I had the steroid epidural my symptoms got way worse for a few days and the pain management doctor said that it's likely that the nerve endings were irritated and that they would calm down. They did but well then the epidural didn't work at all hence why I'm opting for surgery now. Do you know if you had a laminectomy (back of spine removed) or foraminotomy (tops of the foramen - the little holes that the nerves run out of your spine)? The tingling in your thumbs most likely comes from C6 on the side of your little finger, C8.