I have been having cervical spine issues for about a year, tingling down arms, weakness in hands, but so far no appreciable pain. It has been recommended that I undergo cervical spine fusion to stabilze the spine and prevent further deterioration. I am 58 years old, active, and wish to remain so. I am torn with this decision. I know someone personally who waited too long for this surgery and is now functional but has lost considerable strength and can no longer do many things he could do in the past. On the other hand, if this is the worst it gets, I can live with it. I have also been reading some horror stories on this forum about being worse after the surgery than before. Has anyone out there had a positive experience given similar circumstances? Or a negative one.
Thanks
Don

Hi Don, my opinion is that you are best off with the surgery and getting better and recovering from that. I do know one person who had the surgery done and they are definitely much happier. I think it always gets worse, but that's just speculation on my part. What do you think?

hi, well how do i start. i had a cervical decompression 3yrs ago,in august 07, within 6 wks i was rushed back in to have the op done again. they did not do a fusion so as far as i know i have a gap in my kneck. well since the second op ive never not had pain,everyday for the last 3yrs has been hell. my whole body is numb pins needles nerve pain is exhausting me as i can hardly do anything im only turned 39yrs. ive been screaming to see the doc at hosp for the past 3 yrs,but have been ignored. i have a diagnoses of degenerative spine disease, my instincts say its worse. my medication is tramadol,paracetamol,amatrictyline 10mg and 25mg, at times i feel the painkillers do no good.
im now in a bunglow away from stairs,and im having adaptations done to my home for the use of a wheelchair,also have a community nurse for my incontinence,major ibs which they found tumours,also put alot of weight on feel like a balloon. :-( since having the ops i had no choice i was an emergency case. iam getting worse in all my mobility,mental health has got worse,now take betta blockers as my anxiety has gone sky high, and so attend hosp to c pyhologist.
i have protrutions in my lower back discs and im in the worse pain i wouldnt wish on anybody ive almost gave up with life as i cant handle the pain anymore. i need to calm my pain by lying down everyday. my occupational therapist,and housing liason officer both work with gp in area so will try and get him to refer to hospital as they are getting quite concerned about my mobility getting worse by the week.
so you people out there getting the op its a good idea to look up on internet as much information on the op each individual is different, ive suffered with my condition for 20yrs and im only now being told what i have,thats gps for ya. ive been told i will not get better but ive to try and live life to the full while i can. impossible when im in pain 24/7.
love sharon

Yes, Ive had 4 C-spine surgery's, Ive had c-6&7 Fusion anterior, spurs removed posterior, hardware removal and fusion c-4-7 anterior, then turned around and had c-3-7 posterior. I still have arm pain,very little tinglsin hands and fingers, pain in shoulders, neck and lots of headachs,muscle spasmsin the back, cant turn my head like i used too and can still drive.which is a LOT better than whithout the surgery,CAN U SAY WHEELCHAIR BOuND, if i didnt.I still have some quality of life and im glad i done it.so if you need it, get it.Take it from me,It will get worse whithout it.

hi there iam also torn with having surgery,c4 c5 c6 fusion,i havent heard of any positive responces,