I recently had MRI and was taken to surgery immediately. I have cervical spine fusion on c4-c7, with cadiver bones and plate. I am not as strong in my right arm, and even three weeks po-op my thumb is still numb. My neck and shoulders burn, sitting long periods hurts. As anyone been in similiar situation and attempted to receive social security disability? I am 45 year old female. THANKS~~~~

Monica, hi I had a work injury in 2002 and had surgery in 2004 on my neck at c6-7. I also had left shoulder surgery. after being out the first year I tried for SSD and I was turned down. I was told by people usually they turn you down the first time, sometimes more. Each case is different. I was 37yrs old at that time and their reason was I was too young and there is a job out there I can do since I could not go back to my job as a CNA. Fustration was not the word, I had to be retrained to do something different. I went back to work for 2 years and I am back out and the doctor did a fusion now at c6-7. I am 41 now. All I can say is try and don't give up. Have lots of documents from your doctors because you will have to see one of their doctors.Best of lots and God Bless... Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I am so tired!! :-( I have spasms in my right arm daily and often. The thumb is numb and sometimes the index finger is numb. I will say the pain level was a 10 before surgery because of the constant spasms and constant burn. My pain level stays between a 3 and 7. I have filed for disability because I do try to sit, but I have to get up about every 15 to 20 minutes because of the burn. I am in a collar for at least the next 3 months. My doctor said it was severe level 3 fusion and my spinal cord was pinched. I would rather give birth to two baby elephants w/o an epidural!!!!! :'( :-D

Can I ask you ladies a question? I am new to this... my neurosurgeon wants to do a fusion C5-7 for a pinched nerve affecting my LEFT ARM and HAND, but he was confused about the symptoms in my hand.

I have almost constant pain in my left arm from my shoulder down to my hand. I have pain, numbness and tingling in my left hand. I'm not very perceptive of exactly where it's the worst, but it seems to always be numb/tinging in the little finger side of my hand, but also my entire hand.

Does any of this sound familiar? I'm frustrated because it seemed like the Neurosurgeon just blew me off...that sucks when you're in pain!

Thank you for any advice you can give me :-)

Bobbie

I had the same symptons amd an EMG nerve study confirmed the issue was from the Cervicals. I had a C4-C-7 fusion on July 27th and it was complex but after 2 days in the hospital, I was off all pain meds within 4 days. The hardest part is there is nerve damage to the throat area during surgery and the first week or two swallowing can be a difficult until the throat calms down, the nerves will come back. I do have a slight burner in the right shoulder blade that comes and goes but that is from the positioning during surgery. I was numb in my right hand the first two days which has totally gone away. The key is to make sure your surgeon specializes in cervicals and his area of research is cervicals. Medical School surgeons are usally flat salary while private surgeons are salaried by how many surgeries they perform. For a male , shaving is an issue and get a haircut before surgery. In my case I will be 24/7 in a hard collar for 4 months, including showering. I am up and downstairs no problem, sleeping is an issue the first few weeks, trying to get in any comfortable position is impossible, recliner is the best bet.

Monica Lynn wrote:

I recently had MRI and was taken to surgery immediately. I have cervical spine fusion on c4-c7, with cadiver bones and plate. I am not as strong in my right arm, and even three weeks po-op my thumb is still numb. My neck and shoulders burn, sitting long periods hurts. As anyone been in similiar situation and attempted to receive social security disability? I am 45 year old female. THANKS~~~~[/quote
SSD, you will be turned down the first time, almost automatic, appeal usally the same and then to an ALJ SS Hearing. The State handles usually the first two stages the SS judge the third and if turned down the appeal is to a Federal Judge. Runs about 2 years to get to an ALJ hearing. If approved, retro benefits to date determined, Medicare benefits start 2 years after effective date of disabiity. I was approved, 2 1/2 yrs for the process and if you have minor children they will recieve retro benefits. Realistically you need to be represented, avoid the hassle do your research, should be no money up front, fee determined by SS law.

My cousin got his disability in a few months. He used some people to represent his case it is much easier doing it this way.

Respond to me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
and I can give you their number. They do not charge you up front as they get paid a one time fee of the percentage they get for you or something like that. It is worth it to use someone else as they are pros at this. His sister and her husband also had some issues and he got it and she was turned down then she got cancer on top of her other problems and she got approved and all is well.

There is help you just need to know where to turn to and that is why these boards exist.

You take care.

Elly :)

WOULD YOU SENDTHE REFERENCEINFORMATIN FOR THE REPRESENTATIVES ?

What I would do is hire a lawyer to file on your behalf. If they think your entitled they will accept the case if they feel they can't win they will tell you. A good lawyer will charge nothing up front but rather take the money from your back pay if win. That is what I am doing most people say I should file on my own I figure its money I don't have anyway so why should I miss the money I will pay the lawyer? They know the ins and outs to get it filed and approved on the first try. :-D like everyone says most are denied the first some the second and third but don't quit thats what they want and is the reason most are denied. To make you give up. :-S So if your not the greedy type hire a lawyer if your the greedy type then file yourself and take a chance. :-S

My name is Kim from East Grand Forks, MN. Could you please give me the name, state & city of the attorney. I had a c-6 & c-7 fusion with a 3" X 1" plate in my throat. Many problems & pain. My doctor said I should be on disability, but I can't afford medical insurance on my own if on disability. I have met the credit requirements with SS, PLEASE I COULD REALLY USE YOUR HELP, IN PAIN ABOUT 5-8 DAI;Y!!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am fused from c3-c7 I too experience the burning of the neck and shoulders in between my shoulder blades scapula area. I am 47. I havnt attempted social security disabilty. I dont know how I function daily. Julie/TX

I am fused at the c-2 to c-3, c3 to c4, c5 to c6 and still working full time with a 4.5 inch plate

heard and smith out of San Antonio TX They are online, Just do a search. Tell Rickie Glenn refered you to them. They will do the case and when you win they take 10% from the 6 month check. Which isn't bad since its money you didn't have in the first place. So why be greedy. First round it was denied they refiled and it was approved right at 6 months which was perfect.

I also have problems with c4-c5 and c6 military won't operate until retirement age my shoulders to burn and I also have numbness in both arms down to the hands.

johnny85 wrote:

Monica Lynn wrote:

contact heard and smith out of san antonio TX they are online they got me ssdi in 6 months nothing up front only took 1 month of the first 6 month lump sum check. which I really didn't have to begin with so who cared. I wasn't greedy. Tell them a client named Rickie Glenn referred you.