I think paruresis is an inability to urinate in the presence, real or perceived, of others. I have heard there are some common names for the same condition are shy bladder, bashful bladder or pee shy. Lately I found that medical description is Psychogenic Urinary Retention. Since it affects both men and women, of all ages and backgrounds, seems it’s not so rare, so I want to hear more about paruresis.

Sufferers are often called Avoidant Paruretics, meaning that their paruresis manifests itself in avoiding the situations that inhibit them from being able to pee. There may be no 100% cure for this condition called paruresis. Like alcoholism and smoking, it's probably impossible to completely unlearn this thing. However techniques of cognitive therapy can help a lot. Sufferers of paruresis use this at their weekend workshops. Most participants report such a significant benefit that they enthusiastically recommend the workshop route as a way forward. People with paruresis believe that talking with as many of them as possible is helpful. As well as discussion board is available via the link on the left. As you read more about this condition, you will discover that treatment is based on standard techniques of cognitive therapy and behaviour therapy. Goal is to improve self-esteem and to realign their view of reality. The only book written specifically about this condition is Shy Bladder Syndrome by Steven Soifer.