Hi, my daughter is 13 years old and she refuses to go to school. However, this is not about laziness, she doesn’t have a problem with learning at home. The thing is, she doesn’t know how to communicate with other children, and she feels much unsecured. A school psychologist said that she probably has a social anxiety, or avoidant personality disorder. Please tell me how can I help her!

Hi, I think your daughter is too young to be diagnosed with such a disorder. Many kids refuse to go to school, but only one third was diagnosed with it. Maybe she’s just a shy girl who didn’t learn how to communicate yet. I was just like her when I was a child. Even in high school a psychologist told me that I have an avoidant personality disorder. I didn’t have many friends, and I was very quiet. However, after school, I changed a lot, and today I am a perfectly normal person. People who have the avoidant personality problem have panic attacks when they’re in crowd. They also refuse to participate in social activities. Maybe you should try to make communicating interesting for your daughter, by making her the small parties with well-known faces.

I will suggest you let her start seeing a therapist, that will be the best way to start. I had some of the same problems as a child, it affected me into adulthood and i was eventually diagnosed with general/social anxiety disorder. Now i take medication for it including panic attacks. Therapy will be a first step.