Hi, my daughter was just diagnosed with a possible pediatric SLE. I took her to see the doctor because she was complaining of feeling tired and had high fever. I thought she was coming down with the flu. The doctor asked her a bunch of questions and ordered some tests. When the results came in, he told me my child possibly has lupus and that she needs to be monitored so that the condition could be kept under control. I am very concerned about my daughter. Could you tell me what is the prognosis for patients with pediatric SLE?

Hi, systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition mostly diagnosed in women between the ages of twenty to forty. So doctors often misdiagnose children with SLE. You should be grateful that your daughter was properly diagnosed. As your daughter's doctor might have told you, the scientists have not yet discovered cure for lupus. This means that the treatment consists of fighting against the symptoms and regulating the immune system's reactions, so that the further damage to the organs might be reduced. I am sure that the doctor talked to you about the drugs your daughter will have to take on order to have a normal life. For moderate pain drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen are most affective. If they don't help with the inflammation, the doctor might prescribe some disease modifying medicines, or immunosuppressive medication. Lupus is a serious condition that will change your life. The prognosis depends on the condition's development. If lupus symptoms are kept under control and the inflammation of major organs is avoided, the prognosis is good. Scientists usually follow the patients in the course of five years and the survival rate is over ninety percent, if kidneys and lungs were not affected with lupus. So, if your daughter is treated properly and you follow her doctor's orders, your daughter has good chances of living a long life.