Hi, my friend's daughter suffers from systemic lupus erythematosus. I can see my friend is very worried. Based on her story I have concluded that there is no cure for systemic lupus erythematosus. I was wondering if you could tell me what then the treatment for lupus considers. Is there some medicine that can help my friend's daughter?

Hi, systemic lupus erythematosus is a serious autoimmune condition. The scientists have not yet determined what triggers this reaction. For an unknown reason the immune system of your friend's daughter acts against her own tissue. This causes the inflammation of the affected tissue. You are correct to think that there is no cure for lupus, but the treatment exists. The treatment consists of dealing with the symptoms of the condition. This means if your friend’s daughter has joint inflammation the doctor will prescribe some anti inflammatory drugs to treat the problem. For more serious symptoms, cortisone is prescribed. And finally, when the doctor's want to stop the illness affecting vital organs, immunosuppressive medications are prescribed to control the immune system reaction.