Hi, I have systemic lupus erythematosus. So far the condition has only affected my joints and I am able to control the symptoms with some anti inflammatory drugs my doctor has prescribed. However, I have noticed that recently when I come out in the sun, I develop a rash on my face. It does not itch and hurt, but it's more like redness over my nose and cheeks. Is this some kind of lupus manifestation? Is there something I can do to prevent it from appearing? Should I talk to my doctor about this condition?

Hi, SLE can manifest through a skin rash. This condition is called a butterfly rash, because it resembles the butterfly. The nose and the cheeks are affected with this painless rash. So you can see that your symptoms fit the description of a SLE effect on the skin. There are a few things you can do to prevent the rash from happening. First of all, you should avoid sun light as much as possible. For some reason, the sun aggravates the rash. And when you go out, you should use the sun screen with the highest sun protection factor you can find. You should talk to your doctor about your condition because he needs to be informed about any new development in your condition. He may also be able to give you some more advice on how to deal with the effects of systemic lupus erythematosus on skin.