Hi, I suffer from discoid lupus. When I went to see a doctor it took him sometime to determine the cause of my rash. After performing some tests, he made the diagnose. I didn't have any experience with autoimmune illnesses, so I was very shocked with this news. He mentioned something about my antibodies, but I was too stressed to pay attention. I still have no idea why is this rash appearing on my face and what my antibodies have to do with it. Can you, please, tell me something more about autoimmune antibodies?

Hi, first of all I have to say that you can consider yourself lucky because you did not develop systemic lupus erythematosus and that the inflammation affects only your skin and not some of the vital organs. I also suffer from a type of autoimmune condition. My joint tissue is attacked by my own antibodies and this condition is called rheumatoid arthritis. All autoimmune diseases are caused by the same problem. That means that the root of your problem is the same like mine. Usually, our immune system creates antibodies to fight against the threats like bacterial infection. Sometimes, immune system recognizes our own organs, or tissues, as an enemy and produces antibodies to work against our own body. Antibodies are molecules that recognize certain parts of the bacterial capsule, which are called antigens, and bond with them causing the death of the bacteria. In autoimmune illnesses the immune system produces autoantibodies that destroy our own cells and this causes my stiff joints and your skin rash. Scientists do not know why our immune systems act this way. There are only some speculations. Genes may play a part in it. Also, it is thought that environmental conditions are significant in developing autoimmune antibodies. But, as I said, these are only speculations and until the cause is isolated, we need to follow doctor's orders and wait for a medical breakthrough that could help us defeat autoimmunity for good.