Hi, I have been suffering from problems in my joints for some time. There are days when I feel stiffness in my wrists and ankles in the mornings. When this happens I take some aspirin and I am able to continue with my activities. However, the last couple of times, the pain was so severe that I was barely able to get out of bed. I went to see my doctor and he told me, after the x-ray and some other tests, I have arthritis that might be caused by SLE. He prescribed me with some drugs and scheduled another appointment, but wasn't very wordy about the prognosis of SLE caused arthritis. Can you tell me something about this condition?

Hi, lupus is an autoimmune illness that, in most of the cases, is firstly manifested as a joint pain and stiffness. However, these are the symptoms of arthritis that can be seen in a number of different conditions. What differs lupus arthritis from the other forms of arthritis is that it affects joints that are farthest of the trunk, like wrists, ankles and fingers. Spine is never affected by SLE arthritis. Also there is not severe destruction of the joints present, unlike when rheumatoid arthritis is present. The x-ray shows there are no joint deformities when lupus arthritis is diagnosed. Lupus arthritis can be managed with anti inflammatory drugs and I suppose your doctor prescribed you with some of these medications. Systemic lupus erythematosus is a chronic condition that needs to be closely monitored. You should definitely keep that second appointment, even if your arthritis symptoms go away. If it is not kept under control, lupus can have serious, even life threatening complications.