My uncle's girlfriend has Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. I really want to ask her on holiday with us next month, because she is a great person and really deserves a nice break, but I do know that she has to be careful in the sun because of the SLE. So can you tell me anything about Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and sunlight protection measures?

Exposure to sunlight, especially the portion of sunlight that is ultraviolet B radiation (290-320 nm) can potentially cause a flare of systemic lupus with effects on the skin, joints, kidneys and other organs. Such flares can have very serious consequences.

The best thing for systemic lupus patients is strict sun avoidance, and when they absolutely must be out in the sun, it should be for very short periods of time with a broad-spectrum sunscreen and sun protective clothing and hats.