Hi. I`m 43 and have a problem with the parotid glands - it is enlarged and followed by painful swelling. I was diagnosed with lupus recently and now my doctor tells me that I probably have sjogren`s syndrome. Does anybody know something about that disease?

Hi. Parotid gland swelling with lupus, yes, it sounds like the Sjogren`s syndrome. It is a chronic autoimmune disorder. The glands that produces tears and saliva don`t work properly and the symptoms of that syndrome can occur in associtation with other autoimmune diseases, such as systemic lupus erythematosus. The similarities between SLE and Sjogren`s syndrome are many – skin rash, kidney disease, arthritis, increased levels of antinuclear antibodies. The treatment is there to relieve the effects of chronic dryness of the mouth and eyes (artificial tears, local oral agents).

Hi there,
Are you interested to know more about Lupus or Sjogren`s syndrome. Well I can tell you several things about Sjogren`s syndrome. This is an autoimmune disease that most often present with inflammation of your gland and other tissues in your body. This disease can affect your eyes and mouth and even your respiratory organs. I don’t think that doctors really know what causes Sjogren`s syndrome and they think that it is connected with genes. If you have Sjogren`s syndrome there is a chance that some members of your family might have this condition as well. Also one more thing, this diseae mostly affects women. So your swelling of parathyroid might be connected with Sjogren`s syndrome