Hi, I am diagnosed with lupus erythematosus last year. So, I was prescribed some immunosuppressive drugs. I’ve used steroids for long time, now because of side effects they changed my therapy. How do immunosuppressive drugs work?

Immunosuppressive drugs although having serious side effects, can be of great help in the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Their function is seen in prolonging life, preserving kidney function, reducing damage to vital organs, such as the kidneys and lungs. Steroids can be used to treat inflammation progressing. Immunosupressive drugs may reduce or eliminate the need for steroids, like cortisone derivatives such as prednisone. Steroids can induce serious side effects. Immunosuppressive drugs are cytotoxic drugs, meaning that they target cells which produce antibodies.

Hello there agata,

I am so sorry that you have been diagnosed with Lupus because I know how unpleasant symptoms can be. First of all, there is no need that I repeat in which way immunosuppressive drugs works because irons has already told you everything you need to know. But be aware that information regarding to your condition you should seek from your doctor and it is his responsibility to provide you with it.

Additional thing that I would like to say is that my mother, who is also diagnosed with Lupus, is exercising on a regular basis. This is very important because it will reduce the pain you might experience in your joints. Believe me it is better for your condition so if you haven’t started with it already, you should.