I am concerned for my father. He has been dealing with ALS for almost two years now. The condition is now worsened, beside muscle atrophy and speech problems, he also has problems with swallowing. I am trying t make a diet that he could use but it is not easy. Any idea on Planning meals for ALS patients with swallowing problems?

You have to realize that this is not an easy task and that it must be solved in order for your father to continue his fight with ALS. Malnutrition will not help him at all. Beside diet, there are some other methods for dealing with swallowing problems such as postural modifications, changing mealtime habits, intake of fluids etc. As for diet itself, do not worry, there are books whose main topic is diet for ALS patients. In those, you will find all info you need.

You should also see a speech language pathologist. They can examine your father's swallowing ability and recommend diet textures that are safest for your father.

Seems to be a food texture issue with als patients..My wife has als and has problems

with certain textures of food..Crunchy foods are easier with her..Breads or anything that may

become doughy while eating is a problem...Worse case scenario If nutrition becomes a problem

ensure or boost products can take up the slack..This is gonna be a tough road..Good luck

and God Bless

MY wife has the same problems with speech and swallowing. I am forever trying to think of things she may be able to eat. She has had test and speech therapy but no help. She says everything she swallows feels like sand paper and she is constantly trying to clear her throat. If any ideas you can contact me by email ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use