Hi, I would like if someone could explain to me what might be the reason for my problems with speech. In the beginning, I was not even aware that I have a problem, but my wife told me that sometimes when I talk I tend to lower my voice and to speak too fast or too slow. Now I realize that my wife is right and that I really have problems with my speech. I suffer from Parkinson's disease and I would also like to know if the two are connected. Should I talk to my doctor about this speech problem?

Hi, people with Parkinson's disease often develop problems with speech. This is not that unusual because Parkinson's affects central nervous system and speech is controlled by the brain. Speech problems are caused by the lack of control of the muscles that are involved in the speech mechanism. The symptoms and the problems you have described are consistent with the symptoms of speech problems of people with Parkinson's. So the answer to your first question would be that the Parkinson's disease is responsible for your problems with speech. You should definitely talk to your doctor about your problems, because there are many methods used that could help you. Speech therapy with speech pathologist is one of these methods. I am sure your doctor will be able to recommend any additional treatment, if necessary.