I am interested in a topic – what could have led to ALS? My boyfriend's father has been diagnosed with this condition and it seems that he has only several years left. My boyfriend's family is in shock, to say at least, and they do not know what to do or how to react to this situation. Doctors have said that there is no accurate cause for this condition – they cannot say what have caused it. Is that possible?

Unfortunately, yes. Even though medicine today has improved a lot, there are still areas that leave doctors in a dark, without solution. ALS is one of those areas. Of course, there are guesses and theories (one of them taking effect of free radicals in consideration), but still without any concrete results. All that is left are therapies that try to help the patients in treating the symptoms (lessened concentration, speech ability, muscle functions etc.).