Hi, my husband suffers from parkinson's disease. Until two days ago, he had trouble with his arms and legs movements. The tremors are present almost all of the time and sometimes he has trouble walking. However, two days ago he really scared me. We were eating lunch when he started to choke. It seems he started having difficulty swallowing! I am now worried how will this affect our lives. Is there some treatment that could help him with his swallowing?

Hi, I believe you are familiar with the cause of the Parkinson's disease symptoms. Your husband's dopamine producing brain cells are dying, so his brain slowly loses control over certain muscle movements. Firstly affected were the muscles of his extremities. Because of the lack of dopamine, which the brain uses to send signals for relaxation, these muscles are in the constant state of contraction and this causes the tremors. However, as the condition progresses, more difficulties occur. Basically all motor functions can be affected by Parkinson's disease. Such are speech and swallowing problems. Your husband loses control over his muscles that control swallowing. I can understand your concerns, because these difficulties can have serious consequences. You should take your husband to see a speech pathologist right away. The specialist will asses his condition and propose a treatment. There are few treatment options and swallowing techniques that your husband can learn.