I had a C3/4 - 5/6 Antierior Cervical Fusion on 7/18 /08. I have not yet gone for my post op appt (its next tues.) I had a difficult time in the hospital due to swelling and pain in my throat following surgery. I ended up staying an extra day because I couldn't swallow without coughing up everything. My voice is a mess. I think the surgery has been successful because I have little or no pain in my arms, with just some post surgical neck and shoulder pain. I am terrified because my voice and swallowing is so poor. Here is the conundrum. I am a speech pathologist. So, too much knowledge is dangerous. Although I am relieved to know that this is a normal complication, I am worried how long my recovery of voice will take.

I, too, ended up staying in the hospital for a second day after surgery, due to my throat swelling.  It's been five years for you now.  Is your throat any better or do you still have issues?  It's only been three months for me and the swallowing is driving me nuts.  It's so annoying.  My surgery was successful as I have no pain either.  My surgeon tells me this may be my new normal but I can't accept that.  I still feel like I've got a lump in my throat and there are things that I just can't eat.  They say it's scar tissue, swelling and internal stitches.  When I get tired, my voice becomes very gravely and I'm forever clearing my throat.

I had this surgery done in March 2012. I still have swallowing and voice issues. I was told it's probably scar tissue. Have to be very cautious of what I eat. Sometimes it actually hurts to talk.

Had my surgery 6/10 thought it was a success but have had trouble swallowing and my voice sounds hoarse most of the time. Have had shoulder pain since before the surgery but a little over two months ago I had some kind of seizure and have not been able to balance since. Think this is all attributed to the acdf I had in2010.