Hello, folks. My aunt is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Lately, she has been experiencing some speech problems. I would like to ask if all MS patients have this type of problems or not. Can you tell me what you know about this? I will really appreciate all your help. Thanks, guys!

Hi, there. Multiple sclerosis is a disease with various symptoms. Speech problems are common for these patients. However, I wouldn’t say that all MS patients must have them. Speech problems can be caused by other diseases as well. It can be caused by cerebral palsy, stroke, Parkinson’s disease, brain injury, etc. I think that your family should consult a speech specialist. He will recommend some further steps. I hope there will be some improvement. Bye!

Hello, folks. Speech problems are common for people with MS. However, they are not necessary. They can manifest as dysarthria. It means that a patient can understand others. He also knows what he wants to say, but he cannot express it. It is caused by the dysfunction of the organs that make words and voice. Other problem is dysphasia. Here, a patient can speak clearly words, but he does not understand. It is caused by brain lesions.

Hello, good people. I have also heard about speech problems. They are indeed possible within people with MS. Lesions can affect parts of the brain that are important for speaking. Nerve fibers that innervate organs that are important for speaking can also be affected. In all these cases, there can be a speech problem. This can be managed in some range with speech specialist. However, it is necessary to be patient with these people. Try to understand how this is very difficult to your nephew. I hope he’ll succeed. Bye!