Hi! I’m 31 years old and I have hypoglycemia. I’m treat it well and I’m ok. But my husband and I want to have children. I’m wondering can hypoglycemia affect your ability to have children? Can I think about planning on conceiving with hypoglycemia? Does anybody with experience can give me some advice, please? Thanks!

Hi! As I know, neither hypoglycemia nor diabetes affects your ability to have children. But it may put you at greater risk of developing glucose intolerance or gestational diabetes during pregnancy. You can get pregnant with hypoglycemia but would need your thyroid monitored while pregnancy and after delivery. Best wishes!

Hello there,

It is great that you and your husband are planning to have a child. These days and in these conditions (I refer to the world we live in) this decision is more than brave.

Since you are treating your hypoglycemia you are probably consulting your doctor very often so I think that the best way to approach this matter is to see him and talk to him about your decision. He will probably warn you about unwanted conditions which you may develop but this is something that can but maybe it won’t happen.

Together with your doctor decide what is the best time to conceive and take some preventing measures. I wish you all the best and I hope you and your baby will be just fine.