Hi! My daughter is 12 years old and she has astigmatism. She’s wearing corrective lenses. I’m planning to send her to corrective eye surgery but I’m not sure when it can happen. As I know doctors don’t want to do corrective eye surgery on children. At what age is it recommended to have corrective eye surgery for astigmatism?

I also heard that they started to do some kind of corrective eye surgery on children. Probably laser eye surgery. But I don’t know exactly what the best is for your child. The type of laser eye surgery or other vision correction we need depend of ages. Children’s eyes change too rapidly as their bodies grow.

Well,
I am not too sure about this but they are doing surgeries on children as well. So I don’t think that there is age related problem with surgeries of astigmatism any more. However the good thing would be to talk to her doctor and to see if there are other treatment methods that she can benefit from before you opt for the surgery. How long has she been having this problem with her eyes? I think that she could try to use some medication or some exercises in order to improve her sight and then if this doesn’t work you should try with the surgery in order to get rid of this problem.

All the best,
Nelie

I would be surprised if they do surgery on children for astigmatism. it is possible but since she is still so young I would be careful.

My doctor does not do surgery until the person is 21-22 years old.