Hello all, I've never been able to fully understand the difference between hypoglycemia and hypoglycemia. Since this a diabetic forum, I thought this would be a good place to come to learn about this. My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I'm not even sure I the difference between type 1 and type 2. I'm sure anyone out here can probably help me with this. I was also wondering what actually causes hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia. My husband is on Metformin as he was apparently diagnosed early. I think this is probably good so I'm not too worried at the moment. Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions.

Hi, I have diabetes type 2 and I can answer your question. Hyperglycemia is when you blood sugar is too high and hypoglycemia is when you blood sugar is too low. Hyperglycemia is considered the most serious of conditions. When your blood sugar is too low your body and brain begin to function abnormally. Your heart can race, you start sweating, you can become confused with a loss of concentration, you can feel dizzy and faint. If the blood sugar levels drop even more, you can pass out or even possibly have seizures. This is a serious medical emergency and you need to get medical attention right away. The symptoms of hypoglycemia (too much sugar in your blood) include: constantly being hungry, having to pee a lot and being very thirsty cause you pee a lot. It's also possible to experience being tired, blurry vision, losing weight, cuts not healing very well and possibly itchy dry skin.

Type 1 diabetes is a genetic condition where you don't make insulin. Insulin is made in the pancreas and released into the blood stream when it is needed. With Type 2 diabetes, you generally are making insulin but not making enough or you have insulin resistance. Your cells are not being activated by insulin the way they should. So if you don't have enough insulin around, you can experience hyperglycemia and if you have too much insulin you can experience hypoglycemia. Make sure your husband sticks to his diet and exercises regularly and that should prevent hypos and hypers.