Hi. I`m 42 years old and have a liver disease (caused by protozoa). I was prescribed with Plaquenil and now my head hurts, I have lost my appetite and sometimes have a diarrhea. Think that Plaquenil is here to blame. Is there somebody who could tell me more about Plaquenil side effects?

Hi. I have arthritis and also use Plaquenil to relieve joint pain and stiffness. Plaquenil side effects include blurred vision, muscle weakness (increased), mood changes, sore throat, fever, diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, hair loss, skin rash etc. Headache is a symptom of an overdose. When you have a liver disease, Plaquenil may decrease the removal of hydroxychloroquine from your blood and that will increase the chance of side effects to occur.

i just started Plaquenil and didn't look closely at the directions. I guess after so many meds for Lupus I've gotten a bit too cavalier about popping whatever they give me. I took 2 and about an hour later had stomach cramps I thought were going to kill me and diarrhea for about an hour (3x, pure bile- sorry to be gross). After that I was fine. So, apparently I am supposed to take my 2 tabs a day 12 hours apart, with food.
Long story short, yes, Plaquenil is famous for the runs. My rheumy warned me about it. Take them further apart with some bland food and it should improve. As far as appetite I've not got much of one either, but that started before - I think it's just from the Lupus itself.